starting strength gym

Thread: Front Labrum Tear

Default Front Labrum Tear

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Friend of mine had front labrum tear 6 years ago, he did a surgery to fix that.
    he is a novice and he has difficulties to preform low bar squat, so we decided to stick with High Bar for the moment.
    he is also complaining on shoulder pains after the workout, he dont have difficulties performing the press nor the deadlift.

i dont want to make the situation worse then it is, do you think the program will benefit his situation? does he need to follow different guidlines to make it more safe for him?

thank you.

Chilik,

Thanks for the post. How old is your friend? If he's younger and does not have beat up shoulders he should work on getting into the low bar position. If he's older, has a shoulder history, arthritis, rounded shoulders etc... then maybe high bar.

The low bar position is not the most comfortable position for a novice and the addition of a shoulder history does not help. But he should still work on getting in the correct position. Based on your explanation of difficulties, he is probably not used to stretching that shoulder into a new range of motion such as a low bar squat position. I would first confirm the positioning of his wrist and elbows. The wrist must be straight with a thumbless grip and the elbows/forearm should be in the same direction as his back angle in the squat. During his warm up he should be performing multiple rounds of the Paul horn stretch. Additionally, in the early warm up sets he can start with a wider grip, with each warm up set move each hand in 1-2 finger widths. Reminder that the bar must be supported by the back and not by the hands/arms (typically seen with extended wrist). If your friend is really tight this might take a few weeks to get used to, again its going to be uncomfortable (but not painful) early on, but he will stretch and get used to it.

Paul Horn Stretch:paul horn stretch - Bing video

good luck
    Last edited by Chris Palladino; 01-09-2021 at 09:24 PM.

thank you very much chris.
    my friend is 26 years old, so i guess he will be alright.

a fix to the post, he had rear labrum tear, so maybe the press should help with that? lets hope.
    thank again.

thank you chris