starting strength gym

Thread: Is a short-term "rehab routine" even necessary?

Default Is a short-term "rehab routine" even necessary?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've seen a lot of discussion about rehab routines, particularly the "Bill Starr Protocol", that's often brought up here in the forums, and started doing some research in hopes of rehabilitating my own lower back injury. I saw Rip's explanation of how this particular protocol is meant to prevent scarring and facilitate healing in muscle injuries, and though it may be effective, it wasn't intended for folks with issues of the spine. I then found an old article on Mr. Starr's blog that suggested halting deadlifts and good mornings with a similar low weight/high rep scheme.

I'm a 34 year old untrained novice with no prior gym experience. I've been aware of Starting Strength for several years, but never actually followed through with the program until I started experiencing unmanageable lower back and sciatic nerve pain. I'm two weeks into the program and I can perform the lifts and maintain decent form, but the pain is persistent.

Is it advisable to stop the progression and focus on one of these daily low weight/high rep routines until the pain is more manageable, or am I best served by just following the NLP as written?

I would take care of your back pain but would approach this differently than the typical Starr protocol. Most of the time a few lighter weeks sticking with 5 reps is enough to help work this type of thing out. There is a lot of information on back rehab on this site. Just doing a quick search you should be able to put together a reasonable plan if it is still bothering you.