starting strength gym

Thread: Pulled muscle / nerve from deadlift?

Default Pulled muscle / nerve from deadlift?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

So I've started training seriously back in April and yesterday having had very little sleep decided, VERY stupidly, to still train hard and due to lack of sleep I'm sure I didn't warm up properly/ set up my form properly, so whilst doing deadlifts, on one rep as soon as I was pulling the bar I felt immediate pain on my right lower back / upper buttock, so I immediately dropped the bar and stopped everything. Today it still hurts, it's essentially a constant pain, it's not an INSANE amount but it's at the very least very "botherable". The pain does sometimes appear to wrap around to my right lower abdomen/abs and a bit on the right leg, but very occasionally so.

The thing I'm afraid now is if this is something serious or if it's most likely a pulled muscle / pinched nerve that with rest might go away. The weight wasn't an insane amount (115kg) but I know I f***** up my form whilst pulling and at least I didn't force it through.

This is where the majority of the pain is situated:

2020-10-17_11-33.jpg

It sounds like you have a standard back tweak. If the pain does not feel electrical, like pins and needles, or a deep burning sensation then there is most likely no nerve involvement. Also if you still have full control of your bowel and bladder, have not noticed one side of your body is significantly smaller than the other, and are not tripping over things and losing control of your foot, then it is most likely not something serious.

You need to start lifting again with lighter weights and build yourself back up. Most people when they have pain use one of two strategies. On one end they avoid the pain and on the other end, they push through the pain. The ideal strategy is in the middle and I call it nudging the pain. You need to start light and build yourself back up nudging the pain when necessary.