starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting with 10 Y/O pec tear (90% torn)

Default Lifting with 10 Y/O pec tear (90% torn)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that you are willing to help me with a little advice.

10years ago, while I was still in the Army, I blew out my right pec while bench pressing. This happened on a small base in TX and the doctors were unable to re-attach. So, now a decade later, as a disabled vet, I want to get back into lifting heavy weights and am interested in your insight. Would it be smart of me to work chest and attempt to rebuild what I have damaged, or should I focus on other muscle groups instead and stay away from bench press.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
    Sean Johnson
    Houston TX

Was the tear through the belly or was the tendon torn off the bone? My intuition from your post (90%) is that it was a belly tear. If that was the case then I would recommend giving the bench a shot. Start light, progress slow, and keep the bar level and centered over your chest as you complete the exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Was the tear through the belly or was the tendon torn off the bone? My intuition from your post (90%) is that it was a belly tear. If that was the case then I would recommend giving the bench a shot. Start light, progress slow, and keep the bar level and centered over your chest as you complete the exercise.
    It came off the bone in my arm. I have some weakness when doing flies, and can not do wide arm pushup. For my pushup I have to keep my arms right next to my chest for best performance on the right side. My strength is definitely lopsided to the left side now and I want to correct this.

It may always be lopsided but, based on this information, I think you can make yourself stronger using the bench press. You may have to make your grip slightly narrower but there is no real way to know until you start benching.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    It may always be lopsided but, based on this information, I think you can make yourself stronger using the bench press. You may have to make your grip slightly narrower but there is no real way to know until you start benching.
    Thank you for the insight. I will go slow and steady.