starting strength gym

Thread: ive torn my aductor

Default ive torn my aductor

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, 1st post for me here

ive torn my aductor performing squats myself recently but i had no warning at all and opposite to most it tore squatting narrow like an olympic squat probably slightly inside shoulder width IF NOT shoulder width!
    it was a build up working set of 5, rep 2 with 180kg and on the way up close to parallel from the bottom (i have always squatted below parallel) and felt the pop so racked it and ended the squat right there.

i guess my question/s would be how would you guys translate that injury with a narrower stance? possibilities?

i was accelerating quite fast on the assent out of the hole as it felt quite light on the day

and to me the only other possibility to me is as Dust Devil above said having a muscle cramp under tension.

its a low grade tear as it happened on friday last and by monday it wasnt really bothering me unless i did something that would normally aggravate and activate adductors hard, considering im resting it, i have torn them much worse playing football in the past

i look forward to any suggestions and insight from you guys!

Cheers ~Als

I would just take a higher rep (like sets of 8-12, not 25) lighter week or two and then go back into something similar to your normal training. It's rare but not impossible for someone to have an adductor tear with a narrow stance. It may also have been a cramp. The big contributors to cramps are heat and fatigue (this tends to happen more when people are short on sleep).

thanks for the reply.
    ive definately still got some pain in certain angles and a cramp under tension is a possibility also.
    short on sleep sounds possible i sleep like crap these days and dont know how the mrs puts up with me :-)
    on the day i wasnt fatigued or overly hot and it was my 1st exercise of the day (i usually squat 1st)
    anyway much appreciated thanks.

You're welcome!