starting strength gym

Thread: 'Mild Scoliosis' in teenage son - can he still lift?

Default 'Mild Scoliosis' in teenage son - can he still lift?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    My 16-year-old son was diagnosed with 'mild scoliosis' at his recent annual physical by the doctor. She said that he should not carry heavy loads on his back, even backpacks.
    He does not strength train but he plays soccer and eats healthy, for a teenager. I would like to encourage him to begin strength training if it is safe.
    I searched 'scoliosis' on the forum but it did not bring up any hits.

My question: Do you know what effect strength training will have on his back/mild scoliosis? And, in particular, the press, dead-lift and squat exercises? I am not asking for medical advice but rather from your own experiences or people you know.

Thank you in advance for your feedback. Kyhl

He can lift. It will have no effect. Mild scoliosis is a completely normal thing. This is analogous to the doctor noticing your son has a freckle and then giving you a warning to keep him out of the sun for risk of skin cancer.

Excellent. Thank you for your reply.

You're welcome!

I have a mild case of scoliosis as well, was diagnosed at 16-17 years old, enlisted in the Army shortly afterwards, have been in 20 years now, all combat arms with multiple deployments.

I’ve been screwing around in the gym for the past 4-5 years and just recently started the SS program. My squat is at 235 for 5 and deadlift is 260 as of last workout. Just before the program I did a one rep max of 330 using a trap bar.

I wish I knew to get my back strong when I was younger. Your son will be just fine, get him under a bar and he will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    I have a mild case of scoliosis as well, was diagnosed at 16-17 years old, enlisted in the Army shortly afterwards, have been in 20 years now, all combat arms with multiple deployments.

I’ve been screwing around in the gym for the past 4-5 years and just recently started the SS program. My squat is at 235 for 5 and deadlift is 260 as of last workout. Just before the program I did a one rep max of 330 using a trap bar.

I wish I knew to get my back strong when I was younger. Your son will be just fine, get him under a bar and he will thank you.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Lots of information on the site. Here's a recent article (sounds like your son has a much milder case) and a classic on Lamar Gant:

Strength Training with Scoliosis | Andrea Signor

Lamar Gant & Joe Bradley | Marty Gallagher

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Lots of information on the site. Here's a recent article (sounds like your son has a much milder case) and a classic on Lamar Gant:

Strength Training with Scoliosis | Andrea Signor

Lamar Gant & Joe Bradley | Marty Gallagher
    The stories of Lamar Gant and Joe Bradley are inspiring to say the least. For anyone. No matter what their situation or sport. Thank you for sharing it. And for sharing the article on scoliosis and strength training. I am encouraged. Kyhl