starting strength gym

Thread: Recurring Lat tightness

Default Recurring Lat tightness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My lats and my left in particular are always tight. I bend over a barbell to release them, or lie on a peanut, but they're just massively tight again the next day. I do all the major lifts.

The tension causes pain in my mid T spine, right at about the bottom of the ribcage. It prevents painless press lockout and limits normal gait.

Other than lifting, I live and work mostly sedentarily.

Is there something I can do to prevent this tension, or a quick fix for when it occurs other than what Im doing? Thank you.

The best way to get over this type of thing quickly is learning that it is not something that necessarily needs to be fixed. I would stop trying to fix it for a few weeks and see if it just goes away. The need/want for a quick fix tends to keep perpetuating these types of experiences. To help your press lockout I would do some hangs for 10-15s as you are warming up to access that lockout ROM. As far as it bothering you while you are walking, just start walking more.

A deep dive into why this happens and what it means with individual advice about how you should manage it is beyond the scope of this forum.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    The best way to get over this type of thing quickly is learning that it is not something that necessarily needs to be fixed. I would stop trying to fix it for a few weeks and see if it just goes away. The need/want for a quick fix tends to keep perpetuating these types of experiences. To help your press lockout I would do some hangs for 10-15s as you are warming up to access that lockout ROM. As far as it bothering you while you are walking, just start walking more.

A deep dive into why this happens and what it means with individual advice about how you should manage it is beyond the scope of this forum.

Hope this helps!
    Appreciate the advice, I'll leave it alone for a bit and walk more. Thanks.

Hanging vertically and horizontally fixed it. Crazy. Thanks again.

I'm glad that little nugget was helpful. If it comes back in a week or two don't panic. Just realize that ups and down with things that have been persistent are part of the process.