starting strength gym

Thread: Creatine for Mother in Law

Default Creatine for Mother in Law

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My Mom was talking about her memory today and she brought something she saw on tv up called Prevagen. (Prevagen | #1 Pharmacist Recommended Memory Support Brand). In my experience the more things have to be advertised the more useless they are. I remember reading that creatine has positive effect on cognitive function. I know in SS it says everyone should use it, even granny. Several years ago she slipped at her neighborhood pool. Ever since then she has physically went down hill. 2 new hips where one did not help anything. Now she just had some kind of hack surgery because the doctors say it’s something about nerves. She needs PT and I wish she could do strength training. I know I went on a rant but an article by Rip laid out why strength can hold back Father Time. Any input in my ramble is appreciated.

Hi Nightfly,

My area of expertise does not include prescription medication for memory. Additionally, I have seen publications that note the benefit of creatine for memory but I am not familiar with the details on that. However, based on the history you provided about your mom and her hips, I recommend a strength program. The program may not require barbells just yet, but it should be organized in a way that provides progressive strength adaptations that will eventually lead to the use of barbells. I believe that if she is able to improve her strength, improve function and therefore quality of life, it will benefit cognitive function, mood, memory, positive outlook etc.

As a coach and PT I am familiar with the down hill struggle you mentioned. It is important that she have the support of her family to help push her along whether in PT or in front of a coach.

Good luck

I am a vegetarian so don't get much creatine through food sources, and notice a huge cognitive benefit from creatine. I actually googled "creatine brain fog" because I noticed such a difference after I started taking creatine for weight training and found a few studies that support it.

Since many older women also don't eat as much meat, it could be helpful. But then, so would adequate protein intake in general. A scoop of creatine in a protein shake once a day definitely wouldn't hurt her.

But strength training would help more than any supplement. Its well documented that practicing coordination activities helps maintain brain function, beyond the obvious physical benefits of strength training on muscle and bone strength.