starting strength gym

Thread: Rehabilitation of a Complete Tear of the Adductor Longus / Groin Tear

Default Rehabilitation of a Complete Tear of the Adductor Longus / Groin Tear

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    46 year-old Male, intermediate lifter.

A little over a year ago I suffered a complete tear of my adductor longus. According to MRI interpretations the adductor completely ruptured near the origin and now resides ca. 8 cm lower down the leg. Essentially I performed a non-invasive tendon release, albeit uncontrolled. The injury occurred on the third repetition of the first working set of five squats. At the time of the injury I was following the Baker Barbell 5X5 program and the weight on the bar was not 'new' to me. Upon warming-up I experienced no obvious warning signs and although I have played collegiate athletics I do not recall ever having a groin strain. I now understand how complete tears of the groin are potentially career-limiting. I'll explain why I think this is the case.

I rehabilitated the injury using both the Starr Method and the writings on this forum by others suffering similar injuries. It took probably about 5 months before I could load the bar with 80% of pre-injury weights. Another 3 months to get back to pre-injury weights. From month 5 to 8 discomfort remained at the injury. I used a wrap and employed box squats to limit the total stretch on the adductor. After over a year I am now exceeding my pre-injury squat numbers. I once either read or heard that the injury is 'rehabilitated' if you are able to lift the weight at which you were injured.
    I believe this to be true but would also add a caveat that whether or not you are healed depends upon what you intend or expect to be able to do athletically. In my particular case I coach youth football often requiring me to demonstrate technique. On more than one occasion I've experienced some fairly significant pain when coaching. I have not re-injured or suffered any new injury. I can imagine however that for a competing athlete this pain condition would present an impedance to performance and therefore limit ultimate potential.

On the bright side, even if you are an older lifter then you can get back to lifting with a complete adductor tear.

lt_adctr_tear.jpg
    Image of pervasive bruising of the back of the leg following a complete rupture of the groin. Front of the leg up to the naval region of the abdomen were also extensively bruised (not shown).

KSCHAFER,

Congrats on your recovery, especially on such an injury. Its awesome that your past your injury weight at this point. I'm also glad that you took a reasonable and logical amount of time to heal and programmed accordingly.

Just want to confirm, have you returned to the typical squat stance? Heels at shoulder width, toes out?

Regarding your activity as a youth football coach... We train to be strong and so that our strength carries over in other realms of fitness and sport. With that said, I'm sure your strength is sufficient to teach agility drills, however the integrity and some of the physical properties of your adductor may have changed as a result of your injury. Quickness, acceleration/deceleration or high force movements may still cause you pain bc of the nature of the movement and bc you only do them from time to time. Therefore a few suggestions:
    1. Continue to train
    2. A general warm up on those days that you teach those drills. For example a 5-10 easy jog, then some light stretches specific to the adductor then running through some of those drills maybe at 50% speed before you teach it at 100% speed.
    3. Practice these drills from time to time on your own time.

The warm up should take no longer than 8-10minutes and practicing the drills exposes you to the movement on more regular basis, one in which you can introduce a stimulus to the adductor, recover from and adapt.

Let me know if you have any questions
    Good Luck
    Chris

Many thanks for your prompt and very thoughtful response. I will implement your suggestions.
    I have returned to my pre-injury, typical squat stance.
    Thanks Again and Merry Christmas