starting strength gym

Thread: Hand weakness

Default Hand weakness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've had this issue with my hand for a number of years and as a result I haven't been able to continue with my weightlifting, even squats.
    I posted this a number of years ago here, but I still haven't had my issue ressolved. I've had nerve conductions test, and also scans but nothing has come up to suggest it is carpel tunnel. Whenever I do try to resume my weightlifting, after a number of sessions, I develop a weakness in my hand in which I lose my fine motor control, so for example, when washing dishes, I find it hard to grip it. However, this issue doesn't affect my weight lifting grip for some reason.

The issue seems to go away after a couple of weeks if I stop training. In addition, I have tried a number of different things. Visted a chiropractor for a number of sessions, I've used wrist braces, weightlifting hooks, gloves with padding etc, but nothing hasn't really helped.

Not sure if anyone has a similar issue to this before?

Btw, I'm in my early 30's and my day-to-day job is working on a PC.

Chalky,

Is this your dominant hand?
    Is weakness your only symptom? any pain, pins and needles?
    Any muscle atrophy?
    Any neck or shoulder issues?

Explain in detail your training program, as well as any recreation...

- No drinking, alcohol, smoking etc
    - Have Crohn's Disease which is managed well atm
    - No pain anywhere but I do have some rounded shoulders, potentially scapula winging but that's just based on my own diagnosis. Some neck tightness but no pain.
    - Haven't trained since 2016 at least. I was on Texas Method but then. 5'8 and 80kg but then. I'm at 70kg now. No injuries. I do try to try restart my training once every often, but then end up stopping after a few weeks as the weakness in my hand comes back.

-Use to be in my dominant hand (left) but now both.
    - No pain, needles etc

Chalky,

Based on your responses my first thought would be to ensure the bar is sitting on your back correctly, sitting on the shelf just below the spine of the scapula. With the weight being supported by your back and not by your arms/hands. Your arms/hands should not be under the bar supporting the load. Instead the hands lay on the bar compressing the bar to the back with straight wrists and a thumbless grip. Once this is established, I suggest starting your warms up with a wider grip and working your way into a more narrow/tighter grip for your worksets. Pay attention to where and when your grip is as symptoms come on. If and once you confirm that this is correct and its still reproducing symptoms then I would try a high bar squat, possibly even a safety bar squat. I suggest you continue to train by managing bar position, grip position and resetting to a moderately challenging weight where you have no symptoms, take conservative jumps and appropriate rest periods.

Keep me posted
    Good luck