starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder dislocation - recovery

Default Shoulder dislocation - recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When getting under the bar I cannot get my hands wide enough to allow my right arm to be in the correct position. It is like my arm will not move past a point and to force it is painful. On press, I can lift without pain with 75 lbs with no pain but I can tell my ROM is limited and will not extend completely due to shoulder tightness. Deadlift seems to be no issues while lifting but after I can feel tightness, like a Charlie horse at the back of the shoulder/arm or lower rear deltoid. Is this all normal healing after nearly a year? What can I do to support healthy healing and continue lifting?

I would make high bar your primary squat in this circumstance. If you can't high bar, then do either a front squat or safety bar squat. If you want to be able to low bar as a personal goal, I would start doing the Horn Stretch before each training session for a few mins. When you do the stretch, the time under tension is more important than the intensity. It is better to hold a moderate stretch for a min than a really intense stretch for 10 seconds. For overhead press ROM, doing prolonged hangs from a pullup bar with your bodyweight or on a lat pulldown machine using the same type of protocol as the horn stretch is helpful. While normal varies widely, I would not characterize what you are experiencing as abnormal or something to worry about.

Regarding the Horn Stretch, here's a video from Coach Horn on getting into a low-bar position:

Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn
    Last edited by J. Killmond; 12-24-2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: fixing inactive link to Starting Strength video

Nick and J Killmond; thank you so much.

Nick, yes low bar is my goal and I will do the high bar so I may continue. It sounds like my choice for the press was good because hanging from my pull-up bar feels so good.

J, thanks for that link as I had no idea what the Horn stretch was.

You're welcome and Goodluck!