starting strength gym

Thread: Dealing with what I THINK might be knee subluxation?

Default Dealing with what I THINK might be knee subluxation?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I have had a long, chronic knee pain that comes and goes that has really developed over this past year. I thought it might be patellar tendonitis, but after some research I've come to the conclusion it might actually be a knee subluxation issue. Yes, I know, self-diagnosis is generally pretty stupid. But my issues check pretty much all the boxes for subluxation. The problem is my knee is prone to popping around and developing intense pain that comes and goes. Sometimes I'll do my squats and nothing will be wrong. Sometimes I will do my squats with some small pain and discomfort, then develop much more intense pain and discomfort afterward (this is the most common problem). Once or twice I had to stop squatting mid workout. Is there any good advice to managing this sort of a problem? Should I look into something like a light wrap for the problematic knee?

CommanderFun,

Thanks for posting. A knee sleeve would be my first suggestion. It will provide some support, warmth and improved proprioception.

But first, can you get give me a more detailed training history.
    - Current training weights? At what weight does pain begin or is it random?
    - Training history
    - Are there any other instances when this happens?
    - How long does it take pain to subside?

-36 years old.
    -My last 5rm PR on an intensity day was a 300 pound squat. The pain is pretty random. There are days I start off with my knee hurting warming up and by the time I hi work weights it's gone. Sometimes the exact opposite happens, I warm up fine and once I start doing work sets the pain begins.
    -History of actual training is pretty short. I started with this stuff about 2 years ago. Years prior I had messed around with weights on and off. The one thing that might be historically connected is an old eversion ankle sprain I got practicing martial arts in high school, same leg. That foot still gives me issues, but no pain so much as obvious alignment problems.
    -The pain can come and go whenever, though another activity that can really get it going again is staying seated with that knee bent for too long. This is one reason I think it might be a subluxation issue, aside from the obvious tendency of my knee to pop and shift around.
    -The pain is very random in how long it sticks around as well, as well as how intense it is. I often will get a little bit of ouch just from sitting down and standing up.

CommanderFun

It seems by your explanation your still able to train. I would recommend that you continue to train, get some knee sleeves at 5 or 7mm thickness, they should fit snug and confirm your form and programming with a SSC. The knee knees sleeve will provide support, warmth and proprioceptive feedback. If this also occurs when your not training then you can also get a 3mm or level I knee sleeve to wear throughout the day. It serves the same purpose. Start here and see if that helps. If it doesn't, consider getting it checked out as it may be related to the meniscus, described by your explanation of a catch a release or popping.

Good Luck

Thanks, I ordered some 7mm sleeves. I hope I picked the right size.