starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder injury during benching

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here's timecode of Rip saying about tendon which can't heal. I assume I have similar injury (bursal surface of the supraspinatus tendon) in similar spot. Does it mean that any injury (no matter how large) in this spot will lead to repair surgery or problems/degeneration of the shoulder joint in the absense of repair which Rip describes next in the video?

Ortho confirmed that supraspinatos tendon damage is old, and already “healed” with scar tissue. He says it’s an impingement syndrome and refuses to accept that it is an acute injury. Okay, for me it’s obviously acute. So it was probably a mild shift of the bicep long head tendon (which is not that significant after all, because another ortho doesn’t see anything significant enough on my MRI), which caused inflammation and effusion in the joint cavity and along the way of biceps tendon, which explains why first few days a pain was concentrated in one spot and later the whole shoulder started to feel inflamed and painful. Ortho says keep training but without causing pain

I’m not sure how aggressive should I rehab. I did an intensive 1.5-hour long pressing session and after 3 days my shoulder is still inflamed and sore, though it got better.

I guess I just should press minimal weight for short amount of time and do other lifts (and maybe chins), excluding benching? So it’s like rehabing biceps tendon shift, I’m not sure if it’s the same as rehabbing rotator cuff…

glad its not an acute injury.

General rules that you should follow right now include:
    -Select and start with a pain free weight.
    - start by performing 3 sets of 10-12 reps, increasing weight and decrease reps over time until your back at 3x5. This process should take several weeks.
    - Avoid painful ranges of motion. If the top is painful avoid a shrug or lockout, if the bottom is painful then try pressing from the pins at a higher position.
    - Pay attention to the recovery process on rest days too, was the previous session too much or was it easy with minimal pain?

Good luck

Grade I AC joint injury based on dynamic ultrasound. Didn't expect clavicle shift with Grade I though. Internet says Grade I heals in a few weeks. The local pain indeed passed quite quickly. But my experience is that it starts giving front shoulder pain if I hang the arm freely, but If I keep shoulder tight and the AC joint in perfect alignment — there're significant less problems. With press there're no problems at all (except that my upper back near scapula got "disbalanced" and sore/spasmatic to the point I couldn't extend my back and effectively do presses/deadlifts this week). Wondering what happens next, surprisingly there're not much threads here about AC joint injuries to learn other's experience. All I managed to find is that dips are controversial (I liked them). As for the benching — I never liked it and won't miss it if it will be causing problems, not to say that now I'm scared of them

starting strength coach development program
    Now I'm not sure what rehab would mean for me. I mostly didn't lose any abilities, but slowly started to have clavicle instability and pain, so it was not like I progressed since injury, but regressed. During training it's fine, but in daily life I need to constantly keep shoulder tight to avoid it aching, then I can move almost freely. I hope OHP, DL and hopefully pull-ups will help, but I'm not sure. Could anyone share any experience on this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12