starting strength gym

Thread: nagging shoulder/lat injury help?

Default nagging shoulder/lat injury help?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    history of injury:
    after a strongman comp in october I took a week off for recovery and deloaded the following week
    as I was starting to bring the weight on the bar back up I lost some weight when I changed my diet
    by excluding almost all carbs. I realize now this was a mistake. I had gone from 165 to 155. at 165
    my prs were295x5x3 bench 225x3, deadlift: 405x1, press: 155x1

After losing weight and trying to bring my numbers back up I was making progress but but difficulty
    with 5s so I switched to triples at 155 the day I injured my shoulder I on december 10th
    squat 275x3x5 bench 200x3x5 DL 255x3x1
    I attribute the injury to loss of bodyweight but still benching close to my previous pr and possibly being
    uneven on the bench on the 5th set

Now over a month later my injury hasn't gone away and in some ways has been worse
    started out with neck being stiff and shoulder blade area towards the middle of the back hurting
    now the top of shoulder hurts, same area in the shoulder blade hurts, and now the lat on the
    outer area near the armpit hurts. neck stiffness is gone.

my last two workouts I was able to do were sunday the 17 and tues the 19th
    squat 250x5x3, press 115x5x2 295x2x1 (only reason this was 2 instead of 5 is I made a mistake and didn't load enough weight for my last rep and realized before putting away the weights I had 1 set with more weight to go and wasn't as warmed up then but think I should have been able to get 5 otherwise)
    squat 260x5x2 bench 145x10x3 pc 95x3x5 ( I know 10s aren't the program. the thinking here was more reps and less weight while the shoulder was still healing)

the question:
    been going to a chiropractor and using a tens unit. I'm going to discontinue as these aren't helping.
    who should I be talking to to get help with this and what would a consultation to address this
    problem cost me?

Quote Originally Posted by kyle50216 View Post
    history of injury:
    after a strongman comp in october I took a week off for recovery and deloaded the following week
    as I was starting to bring the weight on the bar back up I lost some weight when I changed my diet
    by excluding almost all carbs. I realize now this was a mistake. I had gone from 165 to 155. at 165
    my prs were295x5x3 bench 225x3, deadlift: 405x1, press: 155x1

After losing weight and trying to bring my numbers back up I was making progress but but difficulty
    with 5s so I switched to triples at 155 the day I injured my shoulder I on december 10th
    squat 275x3x5 bench 200x3x5 DL 255x3x1
    I attribute the injury to loss of bodyweight but still benching close to my previous pr and possibly being
    uneven on the bench on the 5th set

Now over a month later my injury hasn't gone away and in some ways has been worse
    started out with neck being stiff and shoulder blade area towards the middle of the back hurting
    now the top of shoulder hurts, same area in the shoulder blade hurts, and now the lat on the
    outer area near the armpit hurts. neck stiffness is gone.

my last two workouts I was able to do were sunday the 17 and tues the 19th
    squat 250x5x3, press 115x5x2 295x2x1 (only reason this was 2 instead of 5 is I made a mistake and didn't load enough weight for my last rep and realized before putting away the weights I had 1 set with more weight to go and wasn't as warmed up then but think I should have been able to get 5 otherwise)
    squat 260x5x2 bench 145x10x3 pc 95x3x5 ( I know 10s aren't the program. the thinking here was more reps and less weight while the shoulder was still healing)

the question:
    been going to a chiropractor and using a tens unit. I'm going to discontinue as these aren't helping.
    who should I be talking to to get help with this and what would a consultation to address this
    problem cost me?I'd suggest speaking to a strength coach who has an education and experience in musculoskeletal injuries and the management of such. As far as the cost, remember, you are paying someone for the breadth and depth of their knowledge, and their costs are not related to your ability or inability to afford it. I've seen strength coaches who are PTs who charge as little as $200 for a consultation up to over $500 for a consultation. Your typical fees for rehab coaching are going to be probably about the same, but as a monthly, recurring fee.
    As above in bold.

Quick update. After some time this went from being a nagging injury to becoming painful enough to go to the er twice. I eventually got an mri and have a few irregularities in my spine the worst being a c6/c7 herniated disc that is pressing into some nerves which is causing weakness in my left tricep and pins and needles in some of my left hand fingers. Have had some improvement after about a month but still significant weakness in the left tricep though pain at this point is thankfully minimal. Going to start physical therapy and possibly acupuncture as well. The important thing I wanted to share here with others is to make sure you have a correct diagnosis/understanding of an injury so you don't make it worse. Had I known the deferred pain was my neck and not really a shoulder injury I would have taken a break from training and not be in the position I am now.

update... eventually I started pt and acupuncture as well as some peptides. I'm currently not in any pain. My only symptom left is some numbness in my left finger tips. I even started training again except not the press and bench yet but instead squat, chins + my pt band work, and deadlifts. I've started with very low weights and doing slightly higher volume and adding 5 lbs each time. Just happy to share that I have gone from being in excruciating pain in the er and back to training again.