starting strength gym

Thread: Distal bicep tendinopathy

Default Distal bicep tendinopathy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Back in September, I was doing RDLs with a snatch grip when my right hand slipped somehow. I felt a tug on my right bicep and felt some discomfort. Significant discomfort was felt after the next day's upper body workout. There was no visible damage to the bicep, but discomfort in the area of the inner elbow continued for about 2 months, even when squatting. After symptoms began to abate around the 8-9 week mark, I started easing back into consistent training, first just with front squats and back squats, then with the basic upper body movements as well. My strength came back quickly and I was soon pain-free and back into my normal training, which includes running and swimming in addition to lifting.

Fast forward to late January. While running Justin Lascek's 70's Big Linear Progression, I did weighted chinups at 25 lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps. Having done weighted pullups for far more weight in the past year and for more weight and more reps since the injury, I was surprised when the chinups' supinated grip aggravated the tendon. Over the next week and a half, it slowly began to be more troublesome. A swim interval session on 25 January (the day after a fullbody lift session) aggravated the bicep greatly, and it has been painful ever since in the distal bicep area. I have perused these forums for information on similar injuries and have come across some info for bicep ruptures and for tennis elbow, but not for less severe distal bicep tendinopathy. Has anyone here ever experienced a similar recurring problem, and if so, how did you heal it for good? I understand tendons tend to be ridiculously slow to heal and would like to do what I can to speed it up as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DollarStoreNietzsche View Post
    Back in September, I was doing RDLs with a snatch grip when my right hand slipped somehow. I felt a tug on my right bicep and felt some discomfort. Significant discomfort was felt after the next day's upper body workout. There was no visible damage to the bicep, but discomfort in the area of the inner elbow continued for about 2 months, even when squatting. After symptoms began to abate around the 8-9 week mark, I started easing back into consistent training, first just with front squats and back squats, then with the basic upper body movements as well. My strength came back quickly and I was soon pain-free and back into my normal training, which includes running and swimming in addition to lifting.

Fast forward to late January. While running Justin Lascek's 70's Big Linear Progression, I did weighted chinups at 25 lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps. Having done weighted pullups for far more weight in the past year and for more weight and more reps since the injury, I was surprised when the chinups' supinated grip aggravated the tendon. Over the next week and a half, it slowly began to be more troublesome. A swim interval session on 25 January (the day after a fullbody lift session) aggravated the bicep greatly, and it has been painful ever since in the distal bicep area. I have perused these forums for information on similar injuries and have come across some info for bicep ruptures and for tennis elbow, but not for less severe distal bicep tendinopathy. Has anyone here ever experienced a similar recurring problem, and if so, how did you heal it for good? I understand tendons tend to be ridiculously slow to heal and would like to do what I can to speed it up as much as possible.
    You searched the board and did not find any information on recommendations for tendinopathies?