starting strength gym

Thread: wear elbow strap for tendonitis chin up program?

Default wear elbow strap for tendonitis chin up program?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I have some golfer's elbow going on and I have one of those straps that one wears just below the elbow for it. I'm thinking of giving Rip's chin up cure a try. Should I wear the strap during 1) at all times, 2) at all times except when doing the chin ups, 3) only during the chin ups, 4) not at all? Given that the point is to temporarily increase inflammation, may wearing the protective strap is a bad idea? Or maybe they just don't do anything anyway.

I've had a little tendonitis off and on, but this flareup started in the middle of a set of quarantine chin ups on my home bar, when I had been doing an unusual-for-me volume of chin ups--like 3-4 sets of 6-7 a day. In the middle of the set I felt something go wrong in my arm and an immediate flareup of pain. I don't imagine it matters, but it came on in a more acute way than the gradual/chronic way I think tendonitis usually comes on.

Thanks.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    Hello,

I have some golfer's elbow going on and I have one of those straps that one wears just below the elbow for it. I'm thinking of giving Rip's chin up cure a try. Should I wear the strap during 1) at all times, 2) at all times except when doing the chin ups, 3) only during the chin ups, 4) not at all? Given that the point is to temporarily increase inflammation, may wearing the protective strap is a bad idea? Or maybe they just don't do anything anyway.

I've had a little tendonitis off and on, but this flareup started in the middle of a set of quarantine chin ups on my home bar, when I had been doing an unusual-for-me volume of chin ups--like 3-4 sets of 6-7 a day. In the middle of the set I felt something go wrong in my arm and an immediate flareup of pain. I don't imagine it matters, but it came on in a more acute way than the gradual/chronic way I think tendonitis usually comes on.

Thanks.

Tom
    As long as you had a plan to gradually wean yourself off of the strap over the course of the protocol, it will work fine. There is nothing about the strap that will arrest the inflammation process, rather, it simply will (potentially) make the performance of the activity easier due to an acute reduction in pain.

Tendinitis / tendon pain can oftentimes have a very abrupt onset, especially in the setting of doing astronomically greater volume of a particular activity than you had previous been exposed / adapted to.