starting strength gym

Thread: Hamstring Rehab for over-40

Default Hamstring Rehab for over-40

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there,

Great website, very informative.

I pulled my hamstring two days ago, seems to be a grade 1 tear. I was attempting to set a new 1RM in the deadlift with 605lbs but felt the pop an inch off the ground. It is the first time in 20+ years of lifting that I have torn a hamstring. I am 47 years old. I came across your site and have been reading about the Starr rehab program and would like to give it a go, however I am a bit worried about re-injury given that I am not so young anymore!

My first question is should I follow the programme as is on your website or should I make modifications given my age?

Secondly, I was doing a sumo deadlift when the injury happened - should I continue to do sumos for the rehab or switch to conventional, or even RDLs for awhile?

Lastly, if all goes well with the rehab how long do you think I should expect to wait before attempting the 605 again?

Thanks in advance for reading this post!

Moving this to the injury forum. I think you need to squat tomorrow, and light deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Moving this to the injury forum. I think you need to squat tomorrow, and light deadlifts.
    Thanks for the reply. Started squats today just using my own bodyweight to parallel. Could manage sets of 6 reps before it became too uncomfortable, but am glad was able to do something. Regarding the deadlifts am wondering whether to go conventional or stick with sumo?

Brozeman,

Any bruising?

If body weight squats became too painful perhaps you were not ready to begin. Squats and DL will be acutely painful but should not increase during the set. Know the difference there. Give it another day or two of rest. Then you can begin the Starr protocol for 2 weeks, Ice often after training each day. Use the conventional DL.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your advice.
    There isn't bruising so far, but the injured leg does look swollen compared to the good leg. I'll wait another day then I'll try doing some conventional DLs and see how it goes.