starting strength gym

Thread: Effects of Brain Injury

Default Effects of Brain Injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have had brain surgery twice, chemo and radiation. The MRI images have shown that my brain is aging at a faster rate and I have noticed my balance is not the best lately. I do have some brain missing in my frontal lobe. I guess my question is twofold. Could this limit my ability to lift heavier loads and secondly has weight training been shown to improve a deteriorating mind muscle connection?

Nightfly

You have been through a lot. I wish you the best of luck.

Your questions are very general. So I will answer in a general way
    1. I would focus on loads that you can complete now. Don't worry about the weight. If your able to train and train safety then you should. Start light, add 5 lb each training session, eventually it will get heavy. In the process you will work on and improve balance.
    2. Your second question is describing the term neuroplasticity. Basically describing the ability of the brain to learn, grow and adapt. If you give your body or brain an appropriate dose of a stimulus it will adapt. Reapplying that stimulus, whether its barbell training or leaning to play the guitar is up to you.

Good luck

Thanks. What you said mirrors what the Brain Tumor Center at Duke says in that to give myself a break and accept the new me. Easier said than done. You make sense, thanks

Here's a story of a young guy who got unlucky with a stroke, you might find it encouraging despite differences in your situation: Strength Training & Stroke Recovery