starting strength gym

Thread: Neck pain and Vision Anomaly Upon Getting Under the Bar for Squat?

Question Neck pain and Vision Anomaly Upon Getting Under the Bar for Squat?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a beginning lifter, around 5'10" at 220lb. I have had no issues with any other of the major lifts in Starting Strength but the Squat. Probably the biggest issue is that I experience neck pain and vision anomalies when getting under the bar, before I even lift anything. I'm not trying to do a HBS, this is in a LBS. I am doing the stretch that Paul Horn elaborated on in this video: Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube and that has helped me avoid the wrist pain I've been having by getting into position with my arms and wrists straight, but in this new position, I am feeling light headed and seeing bright star-like anomalies, which is something that I've heard my brother describe before fainting. The last thing I want is to faint with a bunch of weight over my entire body. I believe that this is a form problem but I can't determine what it is, because as far as I can tell, the bar is sitting on the posterior deltoid, and my head is straight with my body. In the past I have had an unidentified shoulder injury, I went to the doc 7 months after the injury occurred and he said my shoulder was inflamed but couldn't tell exactly what injury occurred, and I have been through physical therapy and medications. Now I feel fine but have a hard time with moving it how I want to, hence the need for the low bar stretch. I tried looking on this forum but I can't find anyone with a similar experience. Has anybody experienced and/or remedied this?

In the meantime, I will continue with the rest of the program, "replacing" the LBS with body weight squats to practice the form on my lower body. Maybe plate squats as well. It's not much but I have to keep moving. If there's anything else I should be doing, those recommendations are very welcome too. As soon as I can resolve this issue, I'll be going back to low bar squatting without hesitation.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Video for form check.WIN_20210216_19_50_06_Pro.jpgWIN_20210216_19_50_06_Pro.jpg

Not seeing any video. Just a couple pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Not seeing any video. Just a couple pictures.
    Sorry I tried posting as a GIF. Here's a youtube upload: Squat form check - YouTube