starting strength gym

Thread: Hand/Thumb/Nerve

Califorinia the place Rip loves, but if it's any consolation my Mom was Born in Wichita Falls ;)

Default Hand/Thumb/Nerve

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Not sure how to ask this but I will do my best.

2019 I had a severe hand injury working at the UPS Airport. To keep it short my Right Thumb was ripped from my hand (Bone still intact). It's called Degloving which takes the Skin and Nerves straight from the bone.
    2 Surgeries later and here I am.

So My question:
    When I'm doing the Pulls and the Presses with a certain amount of weight I get a Pins and needles shock type burn feeling throughout my hand. I'm not sure what direction I want to go from here because part of me wants to push through it but part of me is also afraid I'm going to permanently hurt myself.

I apologize in advance, I know this isn't a typical question but any advice I would surely appreciate. I've attached pictures of my hand injury before and after. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before I answer the overall question: have you had a post-operative EMG / Nerve Conduction Study? Further, do you recall any talk of nerve injury (the more specific the better) after the injury or the surgery to repair?

Califorinia the place Rip loves, but if it's any consolation my Mom was Born in Wichita Falls ;)

I have not had the Nerve Conduction study or post-operative EMG. All I got is the every 6 weeks I go see the Dr. and I tell them my progress and they give me physical therapy 2 days a week. I tell the Dr. about my thumb itching quite often and also it tingiling/twitching intensely at times. I've had two surgeries on it. The first consisted of it being skin-graphed and the back nerve of my index crossed over to my thumb since the nerve in my thumb was destroyed. The 2nd surgery was because I developed a Neuroma in my thumb that was getting bigger and bigger and more sensitive as it grew. (It was very painful)

So to answer your question, YES I have nerve damage, but after reading a lot of others peoples posts I was just curious on what your insight would be on that issue i'm having when I reach a certain threshold of weight on the pulls. I start to feel it some around 95lbs and then 185 it's just crazy. Before I got hurt I was pulling 5 plates, so I know physically I can pull more weight, but it's the pins&needles/burn/tingle/shock type sensation going through my thumb and hand that worries me some.