starting strength gym

Thread: Outer hip pain

Default Outer hip pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Recently my outer hip pain has been more noticeable and I am beginning to get concerned over it. The pain is on the outside and almost radiates to that side of my ass too. It is most noticeable sitting cross legged or if I have my leg bent and I turn my knee to the outside. I’m a grappler so I actually am in those stupid positions very often unfortunately. One thing I remember is my hip bothering me on long walks during the quarantine when I was doing a lot of kettlebell swings. I also deadlift twice a week, so I am unsure if that is causing any of the problem. Lastly, the pain is very manageable, I am only concerned about this being a long term chronic issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Johnsonville,

Sounds like a glute med. tendinopathy or a trochanteric bursitis. Possibly aggravated by grappling, KBS or long walks you described. This typically occurs when you are unaccustomed to a novel activity. Is the area tender to the touch or painful when you lay on that side? Deadlifting and squats should be fine. You may have to temporarily adjust your squats with the feet more straight and less knee out. If you have pain with squats and DL adjust weight and ROM in order to complete pain free training sessions. Then continue to add weight, 5# at at a time.

Additionally, I would focus on reducing and managing all aggravating activities and high volume exercise as tendinopathy can become chronic if not managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Palladino View Post
    Johnsonville,

Sounds like a glute med. tendinopathy or a trochanteric bursitis. Possibly aggravated by grappling, KBS or long walks you described. This typically occurs when you are unaccustomed to a novel activity. Is the area tender to the touch or painful when you lay on that side? Deadlifting and squats should be fine. You may have to temporarily adjust your squats with the feet more straight and less knee out. If you have pain with squats and DL adjust weight and ROM in order to complete pain free training sessions. Then continue to add weight, 5# at at a time.

Additionally, I would focus on reducing and managing all aggravating activities and high volume exercise as tendinopathy can become chronic if not managed.
    Thanks for the response Chris. I haven’t done any kettlebell swings or even walks in seven months or so, but that was just the first time I noticed it. It is not tender to the touch and does not bother me laying to the side. It’s more any activity that involves me flailing my knee out. Maybe it is caused by my very tight legs and hips while grappling. Also, I’ve had chronic knee and elbow tendinitis even before lifting weights, so maybe I am prone to such things. Proper low bar squats and deadlifts don’t bother it, but any front squatting does. Thanks for the response again, for a minute there I was wondering if I had a hip replacement in my distant future.