starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder pain in press

Default Shoulder pain in press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For the last month I have changed my press up a little bit and began focusing on pushing the bar back behind my head rather than straight up or accidentally in front of my body. In doing this I seem to have aggravated my left shoulder and I am wondering if I am misunderstanding the bar path or if I just injured myself. The pain is pretty annoying but I can still finish my sets, although it does bother me a little bit in my normal day to day life. One last note, I have very poor shoulder mobility to the point where I can barely get into a high bar squat position, so I am thinking that has something to do with it. I am 29 and been through the novice lp and am now doing a hlm template. Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    For the last month I have changed my press up a little bit and began focusing on pushing the bar back behind my head rather than straight up or accidentally in front of my body. In doing this I seem to have aggravated my left shoulder and I am wondering if I am misunderstanding the bar path or if I just injured myself. The pain is pretty annoying but I can still finish my sets, although it does bother me a little bit in my normal day to day life. One last note, I have very poor shoulder mobility to the point where I can barely get into a high bar squat position, so I am thinking that has something to do with it. I am 29 and been through the novice lp and am now doing a hlm template. Thanks for any advice.
    I mean, I can't see your press from here and the best I could do is take a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) at what's going on, but, I will say that I do not coach the press to "press the bar back". I coach to press straight up and position the body under the bar, rather than placing the bar overhead.

Haha thanks for the swag will, turns out just cleaning up my technique and not pushing the bar so far back has made all the difference. I still have mild discomfort, but not nearly like before. I appreciate the help.