• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    25y/o male 6' 235
    Sq: 5x405
    Dl: 5x435
    Bp: 5x305
    P: 5x1x210

So as my bench and press have travelled close to - and now above - 300 and 200, respectively, I've noticed a lot of pain that radiates from the middle of my palm down to both of my wrists when I perform the movements. On lighter days it doesn't bother me quite as bad, but on intensity days it is quite annoying. It feels like a constant and strong ache and distracts heavily from me focusing on form. I hold the bar in the heel of the hand as is SS norm and follow the SS warm-up protocol in terms of singles working up to my work weight. The last two warm-ups as well as the work sets have this pain issue. The only things that seem to help are a prescription grade topical analgesic that numbs the whole hand (which is not ideal holding weight above your face) or extensive wrist mobility work which makes a long session even longer. Despite an accumulation of muscle mass from my NLP and intermediate programming my wrists are still tiny as hell and apparently fragile. I am wondering if wrist wraps would help or if anyone has had a similar issue. Thanks in advance.

Surprised you aren’t already using wrist wraps. Anyway, give them a go and see.

Quote Originally Posted by shawns32428 View Post
    25y/o male 6' 235
    Sq: 5x405
    Dl: 5x435
    Bp: 5x305
    P: 5x1x210

So as my bench and press have travelled close to - and now above - 300 and 200, respectively, I've noticed a lot of pain that radiates from the middle of my palm down to both of my wrists when I perform the movements. On lighter days it doesn't bother me quite as bad, but on intensity days it is quite annoying. It feels like a constant and strong ache and distracts heavily from me focusing on form. I hold the bar in the heel of the hand as is SS norm and follow the SS warm-up protocol in terms of singles working up to my work weight. The last two warm-ups as well as the work sets have this pain issue. The only things that seem to help are a prescription grade topical analgesic that numbs the whole hand (which is not ideal holding weight above your face) or extensive wrist mobility work which makes a long session even longer. Despite an accumulation of muscle mass from my NLP and intermediate programming my wrists are still tiny as hell and apparently fragile. I am wondering if wrist wraps would help or if anyone has had a similar issue. Thanks in advance.
    Wrist wraps help a lot of wrist and carpal row pain, however, if the aching is constant, that can be a bad sign. I'd assume you are using Voltaren (diclofenac) gel as the topical analgesic, and if so, that shouldn't numb your hand. If you are using something that is creating a numbing sensation, I'd suggest you stop using such a thing. Voltaren is available over the counter and it does work well with hand pain.

I have little dainty wrists and ankles, too, except I am 5'6" and 185#, which means they are probably daintier than yours. Wrist wraps are very important as you start moving really heavy weights. Anytime I bench over 365, I have to wear wrist wraps or else I run the risk of failing on the lift.

Thanks for the advice! I have wraps that should be arriving today and have an upper session tomorrow so I'll report back tomorrow, hopefully with some improvement. Will what is the "bad sign" you alluded to? Or is it too early to worry about a serious issue?

Quote Originally Posted by shawns32428 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I have wraps that should be arriving today and have an upper session tomorrow so I'll report back tomorrow, hopefully with some improvement. Will what is the "bad sign" you alluded to? Or is it too early to worry about a serious issue?
    It's probably too soon to worry about a serious issue, but, dull aching pain that is constant can be a sign of either Keinbock's or Preisser's Disease.

starting strength coach development program
    The flu had different plans last week. Finally got a training session in and the wraps do help tremendously. However after watching a recording I allow the bar to roll a bit as I'm re-racking it and the wrists go into flexion more than I'd like. I suspect that it'll clean up even more with this adjustment. Thanks all