starting strength gym

Thread: Strained lower back deadlifting w/ video

Default Strained lower back deadlifting w/ video

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was recording a form check video and just so happened to strain my lower back while deadlifting 205 lbs. I was doing 5x5 and the set shown in the video was the fourth work set, I was also using a thigh band.

Video: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The injury was minor but it has me mentally shook considering I thought I was doing everything right. After the injury my back got a little stiff but I managed to finish the remaining set as well as the rest of the entire workout, deadlifts were the first exercise.

The rest of the day my back was stiff and I felt a little sore and didn't feel any pain until it was time to lay down to go to sleep. Once I laid down it felt like my back was releasing a lot of tension and it led to a little bit of pain if I tried to turn or get up. The next two days I was still stiff and sore but no pain.

When slowing down the video it looks like my upper back kept moving but my lower back did not, I also think I might not have braced my core enough. I have short limbs which makes it difficult to drop my hips.

What can I work on or change going forward? I stretch and foam roll my back and glutes before lifting. I think I have some form of muscle imbalance issue, I never feel sore in my hams/glutes from deadlifts which is why I was using the thigh band. I have also tried lower back stretches but I don't feel a stretch at all in my back.

Quote Originally Posted by 170CM View Post
    I was recording a form check video and just so happened to strain my lower back while deadlifting 205 lbs. I was doing 5x5 and the set shown in the video was the fourth work set, I was also using a thigh band.

Video: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The injury was minor but it has me mentally shook considering I thought I was doing everything right. After the injury my back got a little stiff but I managed to finish the remaining set as well as the rest of the entire workout, deadlifts were the first exercise.

The rest of the day my back was stiff and I felt a little sore and didn't feel any pain until it was time to lay down to go to sleep. Once I laid down it felt like my back was releasing a lot of tension and it led to a little bit of pain if I tried to turn or get up. The next two days I was still stiff and sore but no pain.

When slowing down the video it looks like my upper back kept moving but my lower back did not, I also think I might not have braced my core enough. I have short limbs which makes it difficult to drop my hips.

What can I work on or change going forward? I stretch and foam roll my back and glutes before lifting. I think I have some form of muscle imbalance issue, I never feel sore in my hams/glutes from deadlifts which is why I was using the thigh band. I have also tried lower back stretches but I don't feel a stretch at all in my back.
    I have so many questions.

I think you posted this on the wrong website. This is not our program.