starting strength gym

Thread: Back Pain During the Squat

Default Back Pain During the Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello! I finished up my LP and then I switched to Texas Method.
    I am 5' 9" 200lb.
    The pain that I experience is in the Lumbar spine with other aches happening around where I put my belt. This started 2 months ago and it has started to come back the last two weeks. A muscle or something in my low back just to the left of my spine feels like it is on fire the day after I squat and my spine often feels warm to the touch. I have been upping my calories (4000-4500) and making sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep.

I have watched my lifts and seen myself relax at the bottom or crash into the bottom. The last weeks, I am focusing my abs and can feel my abs staying tighter.

Here is a video of my squats

Yes you are dive bombing these. Getting loose at the bottom of a squat can surely cause back pain. If the pain is consistent week to week you are going to have to take a de-load and decrease volume in order to let the inflammation subside as well as remedy the dive bomb. I would slow the reps down and focus on maintaining consistent tightness throughout

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Yes you are dive bombing these. Getting loose at the bottom of a squat can surely cause back pain. If the pain is consistent week to week you are going to have to take a de-load and decrease volume in order to let the inflammation subside as well as remedy the dive bomb. I would slow the reps down and focus on maintaining consistent tightness throughout
    Can this type of pain occur suddenly or is it a slow process? Also, is there a scenario when I should stop lifting and see a neurologist or someone for help?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Oliver View Post
    Can this type of pain occur suddenly or is it a slow process? Also, is there a scenario when I should stop lifting and see a neurologist or someone for help?
    Pain is more complex than that. But, should you not be able to pick your foot up, start having overt atrophy of the lower leg, or lose control of your bowel or bladder, that is definitely a sign that you need to get help immediately.