starting strength gym

Thread: Achilles Tendinopathy

Default Achilles Tendinopathy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there,

I have had chronic Achilles Tendinopathy for the past 4 years. It really restricts everyday tasks including walking, haven't been able to run, not even slowly, (not that I run at all). I strength Train 4 days a week and have done so for years. I love to be physically active but my Achilles don't allow me to do much. I'm 36yo. I have been doing daily rehab now for 5-6 months with no real change, although I am aware this will probably take at least 1 year to see an improvement in symptoms. I have followed a combination of the Alfredson protocol and Silbernagle protocol for this period of time.
    I would like to know if there is anything else I could be doing in terms of rehab for this particular tendon. Any help would be much appreciated as it is quite debilitating.

Thanks
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Aaron View Post
    Hi there,

I have had chronic Achilles Tendinopathy for the past 4 years. It really restricts everyday tasks including walking, haven't been able to run, not even slowly, (not that I run at all). I strength Train 4 days a week and have done so for years. I love to be physically active but my Achilles don't allow me to do much. I'm 36yo. I have been doing daily rehab now for 5-6 months with no real change, although I am aware this will probably take at least 1 year to see an improvement in symptoms. I have followed a combination of the Alfredson protocol and Silbernagle protocol for this period of time.
    I would like to know if there is anything else I could be doing in terms of rehab for this particular tendon. Any help would be much appreciated as it is quite debilitating.

Thanks
    Aaron
    What are you doing for rehab? This is kind of in my wheelhouse (rehab) and I have never come across anything that has suggested Achilles tendinopathy requires over a year of rehab to make clinically significant improvements. I might suggest that if you have been doing a treatment for 5-6 months and are no better, that may be a strong indication that your rehab program is useless.

Hi Will,

Thank you for your response. My rehab has been as follows:

First 8 weeks roughly - Eccentrics only, 3 X 15 Straight leg and 3 X 15 Bent leg heel drops, 3 Sec eccentric. Done twice daily as per Alfredson Protocol. Also with Isometrics thrown in sometimes, 3 X 45sec. All SINGLE leg.

From 8 weeks to current - 2 days of eccentrics (as above). Then every 3rd day Heavy Slow Resistance (HSR), 3 X 12 Straight leg and 3 X 12 Bent leg. 6 Sec reps. All SINGLE leg.

I am a firefighter in Australia. This Tendinopathy had developed (both Achilles, mid portion) after weekly running in recruit firefighter school, I hadn't run for 10 years prior and was 20kgs heavier (good weight). PS I really hate running!

I hope this is enough info. Any advice or rough rehab schedule that you might know of to be better would be greatly appreciated as it is quite debilitating.

Thanks again,

Aaron