starting strength gym

Thread: Extreme pain in right hip after squatting!

Default Extreme pain in right hip after squatting!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys!

I have been away from the gym during Covid and put on some weight meanwhile. However, since last month I started getting back to gym and started lifting. I spend the first 3 week mainly doing some mobility exercises and cardio and slowly made my way into lifting again.

Yesterday I was doing squats and on my second set, as I was getting up I felt a tweak in my right hip and I stopped lifting. The pain started immediately after, It was a struggle to put back the weights and make my way to the car and drive home.

Although a little better compared to yesterday, I still have sharp pain my right hip, it’s hard to work and especially painful when I am getting up from sitting down or laying down. I am not sure why it happened as visibly my squat form looked right, it could be that I didn’t have a tight core.

I am a bit worried on what could have happened! I didn’t want to go to the ER as they would probably just give me pain killers, so I went to my chiropractor and he told me it could possibly be just a muscle strain.

I wanted to see if any of you guys went through any similar issues and have any insight on this.
    I am a bit worried whether it’s something more serious like Sciatica.

I was actually recording my workout at the time so here is a video of what exactly happened.

Squat 04/12/2021 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Basilk95 View Post
    I spend the first 3 week mainly doing some mobility exercises and cardio and slowly made my way into lifting again.
    Why would you do that ? You got weak, did a bunch of silly shit stretching things that don’t need stretching, getting even weaker, then you wonder why your hip gets upset.

Your measure of ‘extreme pain’ is somewhat different to mine. A tweak is some degree of discomfort, it isn’t extreme pain. Extreme pain is when you lose consciousness as a result of the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Basilk95 View Post
    Hey guys!

I have been away from the gym during Covid and put on some weight meanwhile. However, since last month I started getting back to gym and started lifting. I spend the first 3 week mainly doing some mobility exercises and cardio and slowly made my way into lifting again.

Yesterday I was doing squats and on my second set, as I was getting up I felt a tweak in my right hip and I stopped lifting. The pain started immediately after, It was a struggle to put back the weights and make my way to the car and drive home.

Although a little better compared to yesterday, I still have sharp pain my right hip, it’s hard to work and especially painful when I am getting up from sitting down or laying down. I am not sure why it happened as visibly my squat form looked right, it could be that I didn’t have a tight core.

I am a bit worried on what could have happened! I didn’t want to go to the ER as they would probably just give me pain killers, so I went to my chiropractor and he told me it could possibly be just a muscle strain.

I wanted to see if any of you guys went through any similar issues and have any insight on this.
    I am a bit worried whether it’s something more serious like Sciatica.

I was actually recording my workout at the time so here is a video of what exactly happened.

Squat 04/12/2021 - YouTube
    A break from training should be ended with going immediately back to the gym at the very first opportunity. As the very wise Nockian relayed, taking a long break and then immediately going in to a bunch of silly stuff....specifically mobility work.

As an aside, I find it quite interesting that a very large percentage of my clinical population that is “always injured” prioritize mobility work in their own training. The irony isn’t lost on me that the oft injured people don’t realize that their own preventive measures are probably factoring in to their constant injuries.

Nevertheless, here we are. I do have to say thank you for not going to the emergency room. ERs are for life, limb, eyesight, and other medical emergencies....pain after a squat went bad likely doesn’t rise to the level that an emergency room should be burdened with seeing that.

The hip is a very substantial region of the body, and you provided almost no signs or symptoms to give any information about what might be the pain generator, but, you did have a physical exam by a chiropractor. If the chiro suggested it is a muscle strain, it is probably some form of myofascial pain and that should give you some peace of mind. Chiros do some things well. They do some things poorly, but they do nerve pain well.

It’s time to jump back on the horse and get you a competent coach. Your squat may appear sufficient to you, but it needs a lot of work.