starting strength gym

Thread: Question about Shoulder Pain on the downward portion of the press

Default Question about Shoulder Pain on the downward portion of the press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,

29 year old male. 6'2", bw ~ 195 (still going up!)

Been working my NLP post-shutdown (5 months all gyms in the area closed!), gaining weight all going well.

I have had some issues with a strange shoulder issue, which I first noticed with the press but basically is the same for any movement in which I catch a weight pushing against my shoulder (meaning if I exert force outward/upward with the shoulder all is fine, but on a downward movement it hurts). It started with a sharp, uncomfortable pop in my shoulder (right behind/under the acromion, deep in the shoulder) catching the bar on the way down in a press.

This pop was the uncomfortable feeling of a tendon popping across a bone or something similar, and I feel a less serious pop often when I lower my arm from above my head with any weight in it.

Any ideas on what exactly is going on and how to get it better?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zach_the_jew View Post
    Hey all,

29 year old male. 6'2", bw ~ 195 (still going up!)

Been working my NLP post-shutdown (5 months all gyms in the area closed!), gaining weight all going well.

I have had some issues with a strange shoulder issue, which I first noticed with the press but basically is the same for any movement in which I catch a weight pushing against my shoulder (meaning if I exert force outward/upward with the shoulder all is fine, but on a downward movement it hurts). It started with a sharp, uncomfortable pop in my shoulder (right behind/under the acromion, deep in the shoulder) catching the bar on the way down in a press.

This pop was the uncomfortable feeling of a tendon popping across a bone or something similar, and I feel a less serious pop often when I lower my arm from above my head with any weight in it.

Any ideas on what exactly is going on and how to get it better?

Thanks!
    I can't see your press from here.