Default Recurring Trap Strain/Pull

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good morning,

Info:
    46 year old trainee
    196lb bw
    Currently running a short linear progression after a month layoff due to personal reasons.
    Pre-layoff was running a 5-3-1 (Andy Baker's strength and mass program), with 3x5 weights of 250lb squat, 305 DL, 140 press, 180 Bench, plus chins.

Last night, after I completed my 3x5 squats, I warmed up for the press. All warmups felt great. I began my worksets at 120lb. First rep felt great, then as I locked it out, I felt a "pop" in my right trapezius and a sharp pain, starting at the top of the right trap and going down to my mid-back. I stopped the work set. I unloaded the bar, and did one set of five with just the bar (no pain but it felt different).

I went to bed last night, and woke up in the middle of the night unable to move--the whole trap area was painful with any slight movement. Same this morning. I used a TENS unit this morning, and it feels a little better.

I believe this is a strain (perhaps a significant one) of the trapezius. I've had this before, but in the past I took time off training. Is this an injury that would benefit from the Starr protocol? (There's no visible bruising in the muscle, however.)

Other than going back to low weights on the press and building it back up, is there a better approach? (assuming of course that I can continue to train at least some of the other lifts while this is healing)

Quote Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post
    Good morning,

Info:
    46 year old trainee
    196lb bw
    Currently running a short linear progression after a month layoff due to personal reasons.
    Pre-layoff was running a 5-3-1 (Andy Baker's strength and mass program), with 3x5 weights of 250lb squat, 305 DL, 140 press, 180 Bench, plus chins.

Last night, after I completed my 3x5 squats, I warmed up for the press. All warmups felt great. I began my worksets at 120lb. First rep felt great, then as I locked it out, I felt a "pop" in my right trapezius and a sharp pain, starting at the top of the right trap and going down to my mid-back. I stopped the work set. I unloaded the bar, and did one set of five with just the bar (no pain but it felt different).

I went to bed last night, and woke up in the middle of the night unable to move--the whole trap area was painful with any slight movement. Same this morning. I used a TENS unit this morning, and it feels a little better.

I believe this is a strain (perhaps a significant one) of the trapezius. I've had this before, but in the past I took time off training. Is this an injury that would benefit from the Starr protocol? (There's no visible bruising in the muscle, however.)

Other than going back to low weights on the press and building it back up, is there a better approach? (assuming of course that I can continue to train at least some of the other lifts while this is healing)
    The single greatest predictor of future injury is previous injury. This is especially true when muscle or tendon injuries were treated with rest instead of graded exposure to mechanical stress. I rehab muscle belly strains much differently than other coaches / PTs / physicians, but the Starr protocol isn't a terrible idea. I think mine is better, but that is purely anecdotal.