starting strength gym

Thread: coming back from back tweak

Default coming back from back tweak

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    TL;DR version: tweaked my back recently, re-tweaked it yesterday. Wondering what the best approach is to come back in terms of training through it, rest, medication, anything else.

I am coming back from a layoff and have been pushing the weights up pretty fast. Almost back to my previous max now. Just over a week ago I missed my last rep on deadlifts, so the following workout I decided to take a lighter day, backed the weight off 10%, to 355 from 395. (I do 1 set of 5 on deadlifts every workout, instead of doing cleans.) Ironically, I tweaked my back doing that lighter set.

The following workout I squatted, a little lighter and only two sets, and one set of deadlifts at 345. The following workout I got my squats back on the progression and squatted 300, did some light cleans instead of deadlifting. But yesterday I tweaked my back again on my second set of 305 on the squats (on the way back up I let the bar twist or dip slightly). Did 1 set of deadlifts at 295. Today my lower back feels tight, strained, and tired walking around; hard to get out of bed, slight pain sitting.

Just wondering what the best way to bounce back from this and get back to training is?

Been training for a few years but off-and-on enough that I've never gotten past novice.
    Age 50
    Body Weight 270
    Height 6'6"
    Squat: 300, 3 sets of 5
    Deadlift: 395 1 set of 4
    Bench: 245 3x5
    Press 155 3x5
    (recent training maxes; lifetime pr's just a touch higher)

Thanks.

The biggest predictor of injury is previous injury, but, if there were a way to measure and quantify it, I’d be willing to bet we could show inconsistent training is one of the most predictive training habits that cause injury.

Rest almost never is the recommendation. Missed lifts take more out of you than you probably realize. I see a lot of injuries come up in close vicinity to missed lifts.

The first recommendation would be to make this a cautionary tale and work to get your training consistent and your programming in order. This may require the use of a coach to help with your programming.