starting strength gym

Thread: How to tell what the injury is (pec)

Default How to tell what the injury is (pec)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My wife injured herself yesterday on a PR bench press. The pain is "on the chest, where it meets the arm". She continued on and did powersnatches afterwards as she said they didn't affect the injury.

When she is static, there is no pain, but when she stretches out to put clothes on and off, it hurts. It also hurts when lying on that side. There doesn't seem to be much pain when pushing straight forward against a wall.

Two days prior to the injury, she did something out of the ordinary with respect to gym activity. She did 100 chin ups within a 100 minutes for some charity thing, which is much more volume that she'd ever normally do.

1) Is there a way to tell if this a muscle or a tendon injury?

2) If it's muscle, since it not bruised up, it'll be grade I, yes? And since the Starr method works for grade II, then for grade I, it will be just fine to rehab it this way?

3) If it's tendon what does she do?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    My wife injured herself yesterday on a PR bench press. The pain is "on the chest, where it meets the arm". She continued on and did powersnatches afterwards as she said they didn't affect the injury.

When she is static, there is no pain, but when she stretches out to put clothes on and off, it hurts. It also hurts when lying on that side. There doesn't seem to be much pain when pushing straight forward against a wall.

Two days prior to the injury, she did something out of the ordinary with respect to gym activity. She did 100 chin ups within a 100 minutes for some charity thing, which is much more volume that she'd ever normally do.

1) Is there a way to tell if this a muscle or a tendon injury?

2) If it's muscle, since it not bruised up, it'll be grade I, yes? And since the Starr method works for grade II, then for grade I, it will be just fine to rehab it this way?

3) If it's tendon what does she do?

Thank you
    Disregard. She just went ahead and trained as normal.

There was a reason I didn’t answer your original post. Go back and re-read the original post and you have all the answers and had the perfect solution to the issue. My hat is off to your wife for doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    There was a reason I didn’t answer your original post. Go back and re-read the original post and you have all the answers and had the perfect solution to the issue. My hat is off to your wife for doing this.
    I’m not bright enough to work it out I’m afraid. Yes she is one hell of a girl.

I had an adductor injury last year you helped me with. It was a grade I tear I did deadlifting that turned to a grade II during squats two days later. I didn’t know what a grade I tear felt like until I got the grade II tear and realised I had been having grade I tears all my life and had been training through them.

I didn’t want her to do what I did and make a grade I tear further and I have no idea about tendon injuries. I would have defaulted to an abbreviated Starr rehab and assumed it was a minor muscle belly tear, but I didn’t want to be making assumptions for someone else’s injury. But as it turns out, she did her own thing and it worked out fine.