starting strength gym

Thread: Maybe Jerk?

Default Maybe Jerk?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been struggling with some elbow tendonitis in one elbow for a short while, stemming from squat form. Believe I have identified a few ways to solve the issue (queuing "elbows down" and not rounding my upper back). I can grind through a workout with only some minor sobbing, but I've found that cleans REALLY aggravate the elbow if I don't hit a rep just right. The part of the clean that hurts (like, really bad) when I don't hit it right is the rack position--the actual pull doesn't bother me.

Wondering: while I'm coming out of this, might there be any value in taking this time to learn the jerk on days I'm not deadlifting? Never done them, but as I watch videos and read the books, it seems like they might not put my elbow in a compromised position.

Relevant details on my are I'm a novice and my cleans today were 140 3x5. Can provide more info if helpful.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m confused as to the thought process of doing the jerk as an “elbow safe” lift. I say this because I, in fact, ruptured my ulnar collateral ligament doing a clean and jerk many years ago.

The only way your thought process makes sense is if you are actually considering replacing the clean with a power snatch. In that case, yes, that’s a solid course of action and should work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    The only way your thought process makes sense is if you are actually considering replacing the clean with a power snatch. In that case, yes, that’s a solid course of action and should work well.
    Yes, I meant snatch. Realized as soon as I posted but couldn't edit due to mod protocols. Also, cueing, no queuing. Rough night apparently.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a shot.