I'm 50 years old and 6'3" 203lb. I've been strength training for over three years, the last year or so being more consistent and focused because of COVID and reading SS. My athletic passion is recreational and pick-up basketball; 5-on-5 full court with competitive players. In my early 40's I tore the meniscus in both knees. I had knee surgery at the Andrews Sports Clinic and recovered easily and continued to play basketball.

I've recently torn the meniscus in my left knee again playing basketball. I'm going for a surgical consult in a week to understand the next steps. The injury is keeping me from playing basketball, so I think surgery will be needed. However, I'm still strength training, and as long as I don't jump or pivot, my knee is ok. It actually stiffens and hurts most when I sit for a long time. I'm being cautious on heavy squats, but I've been building back to my heaviest 3x5 set before the injury. I'm at 90% of my heaviest squat weight and I'm not having any real problems with my knee.

I want to prepare for post-surgery, so my question is what is the protocol for the rehabilitation of the knee and returning to full strength training and playing basketball. I don't think the Starr Method works because of the type of injury (cartilage versus muscle). It's hard enough to maintain strength at this age, so I'm interested in a quick and efficient recovery.

Does anyone have advice or experience with torn meniscus rehabilitation?