starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back injury and MRI results

Default Lower back injury and MRI results

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings

I’ve been helping a guy with his NLP. Couldn’t deadlift 135lbs when he started due to his lower back pain. All his lifts have gone up, squatting 315 and now deadlifting 355 all for sets of 5 along with weight gain of 30+ lbs.

Alas, his back pain remains. Dull ache, occasional leg numbness.

Convinced him to get an MRI which showed:

“L5-S1 disc some degeneration and has a rather large left paracentral extruded soft prolapse which gives minor S1 encroachment and also encroaches the left S2 nerve with minor left thecal sac effacement.

The overlying discs appear intact. No stenosis anywhere.
    The conus appears intact
    The posterior elements appear intact. No inflammatory spondyloarthropathy or sinister feature.

Conclusion
    Large left L5-S1 disc prolapse”

I’d post photos but I don’t know how. He works a manual job and plays hockey, which has resulted in a worsening of his pain.

Can you give any guidance as how best to proceed?

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Longley View Post
    Greetings

I’ve been helping a guy with his NLP. Couldn’t deadlift 135lbs when he started due to his lower back pain. All his lifts have gone up, squatting 315 and now deadlifting 355 all for sets of 5 along with weight gain of 30+ lbs.

Alas, his back pain remains. Dull ache, occasional leg numbness.

Convinced him to get an MRI which showed:

“L5-S1 disc some degeneration and has a rather large left paracentral extruded soft prolapse which gives minor S1 encroachment and also encroaches the left S2 nerve with minor left thecal sac effacement.

The overlying discs appear intact. No stenosis anywhere.
    The conus appears intact
    The posterior elements appear intact. No inflammatory spondyloarthropathy or sinister feature.

Conclusion
    Large left L5-S1 disc prolapse”

I’d post photos but I don’t know how. He works a manual job and plays hockey, which has resulted in a worsening of his pain.

Can you give any guidance as how best to proceed?

Thanks for your time.
    You placed yourself in this situation. You convinced him to go get an MRI, to which you have no clue on what to do with that information. This is certainly an occasion by which you can easily step outside your boundaries as a strength coach and put yourself in a bad situation.

Sorry, to be clear: at no point did I tell him I could fix his back and at no point has he expected that.

The health service (this is the UK) has been atrocious with him for over two years and I pressed him to keep trying to get himself an actual reading of what was wrong with his back rather than continuing guessing.

As such, he ended up paying privately for an MRI. He’s since presented this information to his GP and been “referred” which means yet more waiting.

I wasn’t clear in my question, but he’s keen to know what questions to ask, who to pursue and what bullshit to look out for. That’s what we’re after.

Sorry for not being clearer. I’m acutely aware of my limitations, and that includes being a strength “coach”. He’s prepared to pay privately so any pointers on who to see and what to ask would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone? Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Longley View Post
    Anyone? Anything?
    There are certainly individuals with an appropriate education and experience dealing with similar situations out there. Off the top of my head, I could recommend Rori Alter at Progressive Rehab and Strength. Rori is a licensed physical therapist and a doctorally educated one at that. Nick D'Agostino fits the bill as well. In a pinch, you could have your friend shoot me an email at William.morris217@gmail.com and I can make sure he gets taken care of. I have quite a bit of experience with similar situations.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you very much. I shall pass this on.