Hi, I have discovered the forum searching for sacroiliac dysfunction which brings me straight to my question. Perhaps a little about myself first: I am 39 and I have had about seven years break from weight lifting which I actively pursued during my studies at university. I am a certified gym trainer, so I know about the importance of form in exercising very well. I am now an academic by profession and so I spend a lot of the day sat down in front of a computer. Hence, I decided to return to weightlifting to bring some physical activity into my life about two months ago.

The lifting itself is going very well and probably due to muscle memory my weights have been going up steadily over the last few weeks. I have had no problems associated with exercising.

However, when planting a small pot out into the garden last week, I must have a twisted wrong, and hurt my back so badly that I fell into the border unable to move with pain. My GP diagnosed a pulled muscle, and after three days on ibuprofen and ice packs the pain has now completely subsided.

As you can imagine, I am keen to get back to training now, but I am slightly anxious about heavy loads on exercises involving on the lower back, i.e. deadlifts and squats.

Which would you suggest is the best way to return to exercising? I have made an appointment with the chiropractor to check out my sacrum to ensure that the pain is not associated with a dysfunction in this area - after all, GPs can be wrong and with online diagnosis in the age of COVID I wanted a second opinion.

But any advice is most welcome.