starting strength gym

Thread: Right hand numbness

Default Right hand numbness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sometimes after a heavy bench press day (230x3x5) I wake up the next morning and my right hand is numb. I wake up move around a bit and then everything is fine. It also happens to be my right shoulder that I have some issues with. I'm going to start tracking it better.

Any comments on what this could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    Sometimes after a heavy bench press day (230x3x5) I wake up the next morning and my right hand is numb. I wake up move around a bit and then everything is fine. It also happens to be my right shoulder that I have some issues with. I'm going to start tracking it better.

Any comments on what this could be?
    What part of the hand? That will drastically change what it could be by better understanding where the numbness is found when present.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    What part of the hand? That will drastically change what it could be by better understanding where the numbness is found when present.
    4 fingers below the knuckles. I have not had it happen again. It happened early in the morning when I am still mostly asleep. I wake up enough to move my fingers around and waken them up then I'm back to sleep and fine when I wake up a second time.

Benched last night. Lighter than normal 215#x3x5

Woke up and my right pinkie finger was numb, it appears to go from pinkie then spread to the next finger. My ring finger was only slightly numb and when I moved off my right side, all feeling came back.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Benched last night. Lighter than normal 215#x3x5

Woke up and my right pinkie finger was numb, it appears to go from pinkie then spread to the next finger. My ring finger was only slightly numb and when I moved off my right side, all feeling came back.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
    So, ulnar nerve distribution. Could be a number of things. Are you a reasonably thin individual?

So, ulnar nerve distribution. Could be a number of things. Are you a reasonably thin individual?
    47 yrs. / 6' / 219# down from 228#

Just purchased a Shoulderok and am having some success with it. No numbness since I started using it and some of the pains are gone. I pressed 165#x3x5 last night and aggravated my shoulder a little but not bad. At least all of that nagging pain has subsided.

How to use the Shoulder Rök with Chris Duffin | Ep 109 | Movement Fix Monday | Dr. Ryan DeBell - YouTube

47 yrs. / 6' / 219# down from 228#

Just purchased a Shoulderok and am having some success with it. No numbness since I started using it and some of the pains are gone. I pressed 165#x3x5 last night and aggravated my shoulder a little but not bad. At least all of that nagging pain has subsided.

How to use the Shoulder Rök with Chris Duffin | Ep 109 | Movement Fix Monday | Dr. Ryan DeBell - YouTube
    Cubital Tunnel Syndrome is the second most common nerve compression syndrome in the upper extremity. Reasonably thin individuals sometimes have more shallow cubital tunnels which makes it easier to compress the ulnar nerve against things like arm rests in cars, desks, etc. You are't a thin individual in the way I am describing. That said, it is a hallmark complaint to have numbness and tingling at night, and that is typically due to a flexion-biased posture (arms flexing upwards) which causes the ulnar nerve to move superficially in the cubital tunnel. If night time is the main complaint, you can try placing two pillows in front of you and hugging the pillows while you sleep. That will provide a ROM block for this flexion posturing.

starting strength coach development program
    Cubital Tunnel Syndrome is the second most common nerve compression syndrome in the upper extremity. Reasonably thin individuals sometimes have more shallow cubital tunnels which makes it easier to compress the ulnar nerve against things like arm rests in cars, desks, etc. You are't a thin individual in the way I am describing. That said, it is a hallmark complaint to have numbness and tingling at night, and that is typically due to a flexion-biased posture (arms flexing upwards) which causes the ulnar nerve to move superficially in the cubital tunnel. If night time is the main complaint, you can try placing two pillows in front of you and hugging the pillows while you sleep. That will provide a ROM block for this flexion posturing.
    Thank you, appreciate the reply.