starting strength gym

Thread: rotten tooth elbow pain--not tennis/golfer's elbow

Default rotten tooth elbow pain--not tennis/golfer's elbow

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all,

Wondering if any of you strangers on the internet can diagnosis this. Yesterday I had to abandon my workout after squatting due to serious pain in my left elbow. I have had elbow tendon pain before but this wasn't that. It was an ache inside the joint, felt maybe a little like it was on the inner bend of the elbow or bottom of the bicep, but no tenderness to the touch. It was as painful as let's say a migraine headache or an ear infection--painful enough that for maybe an hour after lifting it was hard to think about anything else. I took ibuprofen and tylenol and after a few hours the pain was gone, with no pain at all today.

I have felt this kind of rotten-tooth ache in my elbow before, although never nearly this severe. I have mostly noticed it doing chin-ups. I did a few sets of chins the day before yesterday and I felt it a bit, although it faded fast and did not seem like something to worry about. The combination of the chins and then squatting the next day really set it off.

I think my squat form is ok, though I suppose I must be taking some weight on my arms or this wouldn't have happened. I realize one can't critique my squat form without video. But as to the pain itself, what is this? Anyone else experienced it?

50 years old, BW 270, 6'6"
    Been training for about 5 years. Never really finished an LP due to starting and stopping. I'm about as strong now as I have ever been; progress is coming harder, would say I am a late-stage novice.
    Squat 315 3 sets of 5
    Bench 265 5 sets of 3
    Press 167 3 sets of 5
    deadlift 405 1 set of 5.
    Chins most recently 6, 5, 5

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    Hello all,

Wondering if any of you strangers on the internet can diagnosis this. Yesterday I had to abandon my workout after squatting due to serious pain in my left elbow. I have had elbow tendon pain before but this wasn't that. It was an ache inside the joint, felt maybe a little like it was on the inner bend of the elbow or bottom of the bicep, but no tenderness to the touch. It was as painful as let's say a migraine headache or an ear infection--painful enough that for maybe an hour after lifting it was hard to think about anything else. I took ibuprofen and tylenol and after a few hours the pain was gone, with no pain at all today.

I have felt this kind of rotten-tooth ache in my elbow before, although never nearly this severe. I have mostly noticed it doing chin-ups. I did a few sets of chins the day before yesterday and I felt it a bit, although it faded fast and did not seem like something to worry about. The combination of the chins and then squatting the next day really set it off.

I think my squat form is ok, though I suppose I must be taking some weight on my arms or this wouldn't have happened. I realize one can't critique my squat form without video. But as to the pain itself, what is this? Anyone else experienced it?

50 years old, BW 270, 6'6"
    Been training for about 5 years. Never really finished an LP due to starting and stopping. I'm about as strong now as I have ever been; progress is coming harder, would say I am a late-stage novice.
    Squat 315 3 sets of 5
    Bench 265 5 sets of 3
    Press 167 3 sets of 5
    deadlift 405 1 set of 5.
    Chins most recently 6, 5, 5
    Sir,

I have a few theories, but I'd like to see what the history has been over the past couple weeks.