starting strength gym

Thread: Knee locking.

Default Knee locking.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had an ACL reconstruction and a medial and lateral meniscus repair on my right knee two years ago. The meniscus tears were classified as complex tears and my surgeon stitched them together rather than performing a meniscectomy. Just recently I’ve been having issues with my knee locking at random times. This issue came on slowly and was not a result of another acute injury. The only time my knee locks is when it is in full extension, especially if I extend the knee quickly as if to run. My knee does not lock when it has a load on it. It only locks when I lift it off the ground and extend my knee to take a stride. I will often feel a catching sensation and occasionally it will actually lock up briefly before I’m able to bend it again. As a result I have to gingerly walk around not knowing when it will catch again. I don’t feel any sharp pain when it catches. I’ve still been squatting and deadlifting because it does not lock when I have a load on it. I feel no pain during the set. However my knee always aches after my sets of 5 squats. I will usually wait until the aching subsides before proceeding to do the next set, which is usually around 10 minutes. I have no issues with the deadlift. These symptoms are new and have been going on for about 3 weeks now. I’ve lowered my squat volume which has seemed to help. I don’t want to have another surgery but I think I’m going to have to get my knee scoped again. I suspect my meniscus repair failed or one of my tears is not stable. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Stats
    20 years old
    5’8”

I’ve been squatting 3x5 for my volume day and then 1x5 on intensity day following 4 day TM

Squats 310 3x5
    Deadlift 390 x 5
    Bench 275 3x5
    Press 155 3x5

Quote Originally Posted by John Gach View Post
    I had an ACL reconstruction and a medial and lateral meniscus repair on my right knee two years ago. The meniscus tears were classified as complex tears and my surgeon stitched them together rather than performing a meniscectomy. Just recently I’ve been having issues with my knee locking at random times. This issue came on slowly and was not a result of another acute injury. The only time my knee locks is when it is in full extension, especially if I extend the knee quickly as if to run. My knee does not lock when it has a load on it. It only locks when I lift it off the ground and extend my knee to take a stride. I will often feel a catching sensation and occasionally it will actually lock up briefly before I’m able to bend it again. As a result I have to gingerly walk around not knowing when it will catch again. I don’t feel any sharp pain when it catches. I’ve still been squatting and deadlifting because it does not lock when I have a load on it. I feel no pain during the set. However my knee always aches after my sets of 5 squats. I will usually wait until the aching subsides before proceeding to do the next set, which is usually around 10 minutes. I have no issues with the deadlift. These symptoms are new and have been going on for about 3 weeks now. I’ve lowered my squat volume which has seemed to help. I don’t want to have another surgery but I think I’m going to have to get my knee scoped again. I suspect my meniscus repair failed or one of my tears is not stable. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Stats
    20 years old
    5’8”

I’ve been squatting 3x5 for my volume day and then 1x5 on intensity day following 4 day TM

Squats 310 3x5
    Deadlift 390 x 5
    Bench 275 3x5
    Press 155 3x5
    Since you have had a previous surgery on the area, this is something that will need to be addressed by a professional coach with an appropriate background dealing with sports related injuries and training. I happen to know a few. Send me an email to William.morris217@gmail.com and I can help set you up with any number of individuals that can assist.