starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Injury

Default Shoulder Injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    For the past several Bench Press workouts my shoulder got an internal rotation while pressing the bar, and as a result,
    I’m feeling pain in my left shoulder and external rotation seems to cause pain. When my forearm and arm are at 90 degrees
    and I’m trying to rotate right against something, I feel an increase of pain.

This pain affects other exercises. For example: I’m feeling some shoulder pain while squatting (A little wider grip seems to somewhat solve it).
    In OHP I feel the pain a little bit but not in a disturbing way. In Chin-Ups usually it’s ok and not very noticeable (Until today).
    I’m also feeling pain while doing Power Clean (after the transition part).

Today I tried to do BP again (94 kg) and I couldn't do even 1 rep, so I lowered the weight until it would be less painful. I found out
    that 75 kg is the upper limit (before that I tried 70 kg and almost no pain at all). While doing the 75 kg, every time I pressed the bar
    I felt two soft “clicks” in my shoulder, every rep. As a result I couldn’t do Chin-Ups at all.

My questions are:
    1. What should I do on BP days instead of the exercise? Should I do it at a lower weight and compensate in high number of reps?
    If so, what is the range I supposed to target?
    2. Which restorative exercises for the shoulder can you recommend?

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by E_v1122 View Post
    Hi,
    For the past several Bench Press workouts my shoulder got an internal rotation while pressing the bar, and as a result,
    I’m feeling pain in my left shoulder and external rotation seems to cause pain. When my forearm and arm are at 90 degrees
    and I’m trying to rotate right against something, I feel an increase of pain.

This pain affects other exercises. For example: I’m feeling some shoulder pain while squatting (A little wider grip seems to somewhat solve it).
    In OHP I feel the pain a little bit but not in a disturbing way. In Chin-Ups usually it’s ok and not very noticeable (Until today).
    I’m also feeling pain while doing Power Clean (after the transition part).

Today I tried to do BP again (94 kg) and I couldn't do even 1 rep, so I lowered the weight until it would be less painful. I found out
    that 75 kg is the upper limit (before that I tried 70 kg and almost no pain at all). While doing the 75 kg, every time I pressed the bar
    I felt two soft “clicks” in my shoulder, every rep. As a result I couldn’t do Chin-Ups at all.

My questions are:
    1. What should I do on BP days instead of the exercise? Should I do it at a lower weight and compensate in high number of reps?
    If so, what is the range I supposed to target? You are going to get far more mileage out of hiring someone, even short term, to help you with rehab coaching. Can certainly give general advice on here but it isn't going to be tailored to your situation at all, and, more importantly, how much attention are you going to be given when the answer is not compensated at all.
    2. Which restorative exercises for the shoulder can you recommend?There's quite a few things we can do. At my last count, I've accumulated somewhere north of 3,000 hours but south of 4,000 hours of direct patient care evaluating and managing shoulder injuries. Shoot me an email at William.morris217@gmail.com if you'd be interested in hiring my rehab services.

Best regards,
    As above.