starting strength gym

Thread: Fractured Shoulder Last Year Feeling Funky

Default Fractured Shoulder Last Year Feeling Funky

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone I have question about injury prevention:

First off I’ve been doing starting strength for about 5 weeks and it’s been life changing. My Deadlift is up to 200 lbs, my Squat is up to 185, bench 160, press 90. Unfortunately I’ve hit a little snag with my training I’d like your input on.

About 17 months ago I fractured my shoulder biking. This was February 2020 and by the time I should have gone to PT the pandemic hit and I had to do all my PT virtually. I did a lot of the exercises but feel like my shoulder maybe wasn’t fully rehabbed due to not being able to see someone in person.

Anyway, last week after my shoulder press workout my shoulder started just feeling way more sore than normal. This whole week it’s been just feeling a little dull- not massively painful at all, just like something isn’t quite right.

I took Wednesday off lifting completely and Friday was my bench day. I was able to hit 3x5 of 160 no problem, but it felt like my shoulder wasn’t too happy about it.

Anyway, my question is this. Considering that it isn’t super painful and I just want to avoid a serious injury, would you recommend a) not doing any presses for a week or two and substituting chin-ups for press and rows for bench, b) just going light weight on the press/bench and doing 3x10 rather than 3x5, or c) doing a serious de-load on 3x5s which will not be challenging at all but at least stop me from losing muscle as I incorporate mor rehabbing exercises into my routine? I could soldier through it too but that seems dumb to me.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLevinMusic View Post
    Hey everyone I have question about injury prevention:

First off I’ve been doing starting strength for about 5 weeks and it’s been life changing. My Deadlift is up to 200 lbs, my Squat is up to 185, bench 160, press 90. Unfortunately I’ve hit a little snag with my training I’d like your input on.

About 17 months ago I fractured my shoulder biking. This was February 2020 and by the time I should have gone to PT the pandemic hit and I had to do all my PT virtually. I did a lot of the exercises but feel like my shoulder maybe wasn’t fully rehabbed due to not being able to see someone in person.

Anyway, last week after my shoulder press workout my shoulder started just feeling way more sore than normal. This whole week it’s been just feeling a little dull- not massively painful at all, just like something isn’t quite right.

I took Wednesday off lifting completely and Friday was my bench day. I was able to hit 3x5 of 160 no problem, but it felt like my shoulder wasn’t too happy about it.

Anyway, my question is this. Considering that it isn’t super painful and I just want to avoid a serious injury, would you recommend a) not doing any presses for a week or two and substituting chin-ups for press and rows for bench, b) just going light weight on the press/bench and doing 3x10 rather than 3x5, or c) doing a serious de-load on 3x5s which will not be challenging at all but at least stop me from losing muscle as I incorporate mor rehabbing exercises into my routine? I could soldier through it too but that seems dumb to me.

Thanks!
    Well, a couple things here: First of all, the pandemic likely didn't give you any worse of an experience in physical therapy than you would have had in person. I'm a physical therapist myself, and the routine care given in an outpatient orthopaedic setting is horrendous. I think I'd rather stay at home and have someone pickpocket me for the $25 co-pay than to spend time traveling to another location to be robbed in broad day light. In all reality, you are in exactly the same position now that you would have been had you have gone to in person rehab.

The second point is that with you having a remote injury, and you have (by the sounds of it) been able to train for about 5 weeks without issue, I have a sneaking suspicion that this is due to technique than it has to do with remote injury.

Now, to answer your question: I would not recommend a, b, or c.