starting strength gym

Thread: Back pain when walking/standing

Default Back pain when walking/standing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m stumped, 6’ 330 lb male, 42 years old…I can squat and DL with ZERO back pain but as soon as I rack or set the weight down, my lower back get an excruciating pump, to the point I have to sit down…which eases all pain. Same thing happens now when I walk more than 20-40 yards or stand still for a long time. I work a fairly sedentary job with a lot of driving and deal time. Am I just out of shape or could it be from too much desk time? I know my power belly isn’t helping anything, but it’s never rally hurt like this before. I know this is pretty vague but just wondered if any others have experienced anything like this. I squat and DL beltless so I don’t suspect it’s a weak core, but with my tight hamstrings and sedentary day job, I do suspect it could be mobility related.

Quote Originally Posted by bighydo1979 View Post
    I’m stumped, 6’ 330 lb male, 42 years old…I can squat and DL with ZERO back pain but as soon as I rack or set the weight down, my lower back get an excruciating pump, to the point I have to sit down…which eases all pain. Same thing happens now when I walk more than 20-40 yards or stand still for a long time. I work a fairly sedentary job with a lot of driving and deal time. Am I just out of shape or could it be from too much desk time? I know my power belly isn’t helping anything, but it’s never rally hurt like this before. I know this is pretty vague but just wondered if any others have experienced anything like this. I squat and DL beltless so I don’t suspect it’s a weak core, but with my tight hamstrings and sedentary day job, I do suspect it could be mobility related.
    I don't think anything about what you are describing sounds like a mobility issue. I wouldn't expect mobility issues, if actually causing pain, to cause the pain and symptoms you are describing. But, then again, by your own admission, your description is very vague and I can't see your training from here.

This might be a case where you'd be well suited for a virtual consult with someone so they can ask appropriate questions to help narrow down what might be causing this and then help you develop a rehab / program modification to get you through it.