starting strength gym

Thread: Long head of the bicep and the press

Default Long head of the bicep and the press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 56 and back in my twenties I hurt my right shoulder while pushing a car.
    After many years, the consequence of that event is some degree of instability of the long head of the bicep. Sometimes (not always), when I raise my arm overhead (empty handed, even) or when I press, the long head of the bicep will snap into (or out of ?) the groove where it is supposed to be sitting. In which case, I very distinctly feel this super fast ‘click-click-clik’. It isn’t painful at all and it doesn’t happen every time, but it gets scary when it happens during the press.

Now, after having played around with the SS method for some time, I decided to do the NLP as it is intended to be done. But, before I get started, I would like to know how to handle the snapping of the long head of the bicep, because I know it will give me problems (from the mental standpoint, at least).

Has anybody dealt with the issue?
    What would be for a SS trainee the best strategy to overcome the problem?
    Any type of help would be greatly appreciated.

If more details about the history of the injury is needed, I’ll be very happy to provide it (for now I’ll say that I do not remember of any tissue damages been reported by an ultrasound I guess I did back then; the problem was an acute inflammation).

Thanks,

Giulio

Quote Originally Posted by Giulio View Post
    I am 56 and back in my twenties I hurt my right shoulder while pushing a car.
    After many years, the consequence of that event is some degree of instability of the long head of the bicep. Sometimes (not always), when I raise my arm overhead (empty handed, even) or when I press, the long head of the bicep will snap into (or out of ?) the groove where it is supposed to be sitting. In which case, I very distinctly feel this super fast ‘click-click-clik’. It isn’t painful at all and it doesn’t happen every time, but it gets scary when it happens during the press.

Now, after having played around with the SS method for some time, I decided to do the NLP as it is intended to be done. But, before I get started, I would like to know how to handle the snapping of the long head of the bicep, because I know it will give me problems (from the mental standpoint, at least).

Has anybody dealt with the issue?
    What would be for a SS trainee the best strategy to overcome the problem?
    Any type of help would be greatly appreciated.

If more details about the history of the injury is needed, I’ll be very happy to provide it (for now I’ll say that I do not remember of any tissue damages been reported by an ultrasound I guess I did back then; the problem was an acute inflammation).

Thanks,

Giulio
    Technique modification would really be the best option, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Technique modification would really be the best option, I think.
    Will, thank you for your kind reply.
    As for technique modifications, I can say that recently I switched to Press 2.0, which I had never done before, but – again - this is a very recent change, thus I do not know if it could work or not in the long run (I remember having felt the snap while doing the 2.0).

Otherwise I do not know what kind of modification I could introduce. Can you help with that?

Or maybe you suggest to look for a consultation/form check from an SS coach?

Thanks,

Giulio

Quote Originally Posted by Giulio View Post
    Will, thank you for your kind reply.
    As for technique modifications, I can say that recently I switched to Press 2.0, which I had never done before, but – again - this is a very recent change, thus I do not know if it could work or not in the long run (I remember having felt the snap while doing the 2.0).

Otherwise I do not know what kind of modification I could introduce. Can you help with that?

Or maybe you suggest to look for a consultation/form check from an SS coach?

Thanks,

Giulio
    If you'd be interested in consulting with someone, send me an email to William.morris217@gmail.com. I know several SSCs who are also PTs, as well as PTs that have an area of emphasis in strength training. I'm sure any of us could get you set back on the path of righteousness with your press.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    If you'd be interested in consulting with someone, send me an email to William.morris217@gmail.com. I know several SSCs who are also PTs, as well as PTs that have an area of emphasis in strength training. I'm sure any of us could get you set back on the path of righteousness with your press.
    Will,
    I'll write to you - as suggested - with yet another problem that came to my mind.
    Talk to you soon,
    Giulio