Abdominal Pain Abdominal Pain

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Abdominal Pain

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    30

    Default Abdominal Pain

    • starting strength seminar october 2021
    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    Did my squats, bench press and new or deadlift of 335x5 3 days ago . When deadlifts were done, felt a new pain on my abdominals, directly in the cyber of my body and slightly above the pubic bone. It hurts when "crunching" abs (sitting up in the morning), stretching abs out (e.g, driving hips forward in the press) or when I contract my TVA (suck stomach in). Pain is about a 3/10, but trained through it yesterday. Did not stop me from hitting a PR on my press of 140x5x3.

    Is this a situation that I need to worry about getting an opinion on a hernia? Or is it probably just a slight abdominal tear/strain that I can train through?

    I'm 5'6" and 182 lbs. 25 years old.


    Any advice appreciated, thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Sounds pretty innocuous to me. If youíve been able to train with it, itís probably a low level soft tissue injury. See how it evolves over the next week or two and report back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Sounds pretty innocuous to me. If youíve been able to train with it, itís probably a low level soft tissue injury. See how it evolves over the next week or two and report back.
    Hey, just wanted to report back. The pain must have been some kind of muscle strain, as it went away in a few days. I finally find a use for the "ab machine", loaded it up to a super low weight and just used it to context my abs for some sets to pump some blood in there and keep it moving. Took my weekend off and it was gone come July 4th.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GioPaul View Post
    Hey, just wanted to report back. The pain must have been some kind of muscle strain, as it went away in a few days. I finally find a use for the "ab machine", loaded it up to a super low weight and just used it to context my abs for some sets to pump some blood in there and keep it moving. Took my weekend off and it was gone come July 4th.
    This is wonderful news, sir. I hope people see this and see the power in continuing to train through ouchies.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Hey wanted to come back and give one more update on this. The pain came back and is not getting worse, but not getting any better. I feel it mainly in the few days after heavy deadlift and press workouts. I feel it most too when I crunch up and to the side getting up from bed in the morning , or when I drive my hips forward in the press. Any idea if there's anything additional I should do? I'm going to continue to train like normal. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GioPaul View Post
    Hey wanted to come back and give one more update on this. The pain came back and is not getting worse, but not getting any better. I feel it mainly in the few days after heavy deadlift and press workouts. I feel it most too when I crunch up and to the side getting up from bed in the morning , or when I drive my hips forward in the press. Any idea if there's anything additional I should do? I'm going to continue to train like normal. Thanks!
    Where in the abdominal area is it? Are you sure you aren't twisting in the trunk when you press? I'd suggest switching to a strict press to prevent that from happening while this clears up. This is also a good scenario in which barbell roll outs can be useful for rehab.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    30

    Default

    The area would be a few inches below my belly button and a few inches to the right. Just about level with my hip pointer or a bit lower in terms of how far down it goes.

    Should I just put a light weight on the bar and do rollouts through a full range of motion 3 days a week after my workouts?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Hey Will,

    I just realized today that the pain is actually in my inner groin area. If I stand on just the right leg , keep my knee straight and then bend over to my right, thatís when it hurts. Iíve noticed too when when I lock my knees out and drive hips forward in the press is the other time it hurts a lot. Any thoughts on rehab for it?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Hey Will,

    Wanted to report back as I've been dealing with this for a few weeks now. I get a pain on my right groin (I have discovered it is not my abdominal muscle). It gets worse after each time I deadlift once/week right now and that's when it flares up. I feel it when I drive hips forward in the press but doesn't make it worse.

    To describe it, I also feel it if I stand on just the right leg, and lean out to my right. Squats don't bother it at all. Any idea what this could be and how to rehab it? The last thing I'd ever want to do is take a break from deadlifting as I'm finally at 340x5 in my LP and am having a great time.

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Hey Will,

    Wanted to report back as I've been dealing with this for a few weeks now. I get a pain on my right groin (I have discovered it is not my abdominal muscle). It gets worse after each time I deadlift once/week right now and that's when it flares up. I feel it when I drive hips forward in the press but doesn't make it worse.

    To describe it, I also feel it if I stand on just the right leg, and lean out to my right. Squats don't bother it at all. Any idea what this could be and how to rehab it? The last thing I'd ever want to do is take a break from deadlifting as I'm finally at 340x5 in my LP and am having a great time.

    Thanks!
    Try wearing a really tight pair of compression shorts or powerlifting briefs, or wrapping a knee wrap around the top part of your thigh and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •