starting strength gym

Thread: Question about maintaining strength during recovery from leg surgery

Default Question about maintaining strength during recovery from leg surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am having a large mass removed from my thigh in a few days. I will spend two days in the hospital with a drain in my leg. Both the orthopedist I saw initially and the orthopedic oncologist who is performing the surgery are former athletes and are not the type to say do nothing unless there is no safe training option. The surgeon told me that I will be unable to train my lower body at the same intensity for six to eight weeks. Still, I have never taken a long break from lifting since I started 50 years ago and expect to test the limits of what I can safely do. My intention is to start training my upper body in some fashion almost immediately and to introduce deadlifts and then squats as soon I can do so without reopening the wound.

My question is whether to continue my current upper body workouts or to increase volume until I am able to train my lower body effectively. I purchased Andy Baker's Strength and Mass after 40 program. Since I don't have a full set of dumbbells' at home, Coach Baker suggested adding a couple of back off sets to the program. Because I don't want to give all of the details of a simple, but effective, program that Andy sells, I will summarize it as a 4-day heavy/lift 531 program.

I have many questions before I am willing to provide some more specific recommendations. This is a professional level consult problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I have many questions before I am willing to provide some more specific recommendations. This is a professional level consult problem.
    Understood. Initial visit, ultrasound, orthopedic exam, MRI, oncologist scheduling surgery all happened last week. The mass is probably benign, but it is between the muscles of my quadriceps and surrounded by blood vessels. Once I have the surgery, I will have a much better idea of how serious this is. Although I expect to have more detailed questions which would require paid consultations, right now I am trying to focus on the basics of recovery.

Even though my training plans will change, I want to start planning my workouts for the next couple of months. Right now, I lift four days a week with 5 sets (3 work sets and 2 back off sets) of the primary exercise, 3 light or medium sets of 5 for the secondary exercise, and a couple of accessories. Since I won't be training my lower body, I was curious if I should continue the same upper body schedule or add some additional accessories. I understand that a prescription of which exercises, if any, to add or a medical consultation isn't the type of thing that should be provided without cost. So, my only question is whether or not someone who is unable to train one part of the body add volume elsewhere.

I appreciate the time you give to help others in this forum and I have learned a lot from reading answers you have given others.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    Understood. Initial visit, ultrasound, orthopedic exam, MRI, oncologist scheduling surgery all happened last week. The mass is probably benign, but it is between the muscles of my quadriceps and surrounded by blood vessels. Once I have the surgery, I will have a much better idea of how serious this is. Although I expect to have more detailed questions which would require paid consultations, right now I am trying to focus on the basics of recovery.

Even though my training plans will change, I want to start planning my workouts for the next couple of months. Right now, I lift four days a week with 5 sets (3 work sets and 2 back off sets) of the primary exercise, 3 light or medium sets of 5 for the secondary exercise, and a couple of accessories. Since I won't be training my lower body, I was curious if I should continue the same upper body schedule or add some additional accessories. I understand that a prescription of which exercises, if any, to add or a medical consultation isn't the type of thing that should be provided without cost. So, my only question is whether or not someone who is unable to train one part of the body add volume elsewhere.

I appreciate the time you give to help others in this forum and I have learned a lot from reading answers you have given others.
    The biggest considerations are going to be the approach for the tumor excision, the amount of bleeding and the maturity of the vascular bed around the tumor, the dressing on the wound, if they have to remove any muscle tissue due to necrosis, and when you are cleared for showering / bathing. Then, I would say that adding additional volume is not likely to be of great benefit. Despite not training the involved leg, you are going to be utilizing a lot of recovery resources in the healing process for the leg. As long as the bleeding situation was well taken care of, I'd maybe suggest loading single leg exercises on the uninvolved leg with more hypertrophy work in order to maybe stave off some degree of the expected atrophy in the involved quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    The biggest considerations are going to be the approach for the tumor excision, the amount of bleeding and the maturity of the vascular bed around the tumor, the dressing on the wound, if they have to remove any muscle tissue due to necrosis, and when you are cleared for showering / bathing. Then, I would say that adding additional volume is not likely to be of great benefit. Despite not training the involved leg, you are going to be utilizing a lot of recovery resources in the healing process for the leg. As long as the bleeding situation was well taken care of, I'd maybe suggest loading single leg exercises on the uninvolved leg with more hypertrophy work in order to maybe stave off some degree of the expected atrophy in the involved quad.
    Thank you very much!

The surgeon said he believes that I will lose little, if any, muscle tissue. Because of the rush to get everything scheduled, I have a lot of questions that I didn't get to ask the doctors. Although I know that my training plans will change depending on the results, focusing on my recovery is better for my mental state than not.

I dislike when people ask questions, get advice and never come back so I wanted to provide an update. The mass was bigger than I thought based on the referring doctor's review of the MRI of my leg. It also originated and was surrounded by branches of the femoral nerve, which added additional time and complexity to the operation. Still, I ended up with no nerve damage or muscle loss and the biopsy was benign, so I am thrilled with the outcome. At T+14 days, I will resume upper body training and some minimal alternate leg strength work. I appreciate your advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Agreed. I sincerely appreciate the update. I am certainly glad the procedure was as successful as it was.