starting strength gym

Thread: Let my knees recover or work through the pain?

Default Let my knees recover or work through the pain?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After my training two days ago my knees went from uncomfortable during the squat, to can't fucking walk that evening and the next day. Today they are still painful but not near as bad.

I'm not sure if the pain was caused by switching to high-bar squats for the first time (due to shoulder mobility issues), or if that just exacerbated what I THOUGHT was just shin splints.

I took 1 week hiatus 2 weeks ago at a family get together where there were no gyms available, and played volleyball on grass like I was 21 again (diving, running, jumping and shit). My knees flared up bad after that, but went back to normal within a day.

Whichever caused the knee pain, I want to know if I should hold off on squats, or just push through them and hope the pain goes back to normal in the future.

The pain is not something I have traditionally had, I've always had bad knees, but now the knee is sore to the touch on the outsides and front, and the pain exists whether it is resting or being used, though stepping down stairs sends a jolt like nobodies business.

Any ideas? I've found some posts on here re: squatting and knee pain, but don't seem to match my situation where I went from no knee pain squatting to severe pain in one session. Unless my knees went way forward by switching to high bar, but I don't think they did. Will record myself next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller1991 View Post
    After my training two days ago my knees went from uncomfortable during the squat, to can't fucking walk that evening and the next day. Today they are still painful but not near as bad.

I'm not sure if the pain was caused by switching to high-bar squats for the first time (due to shoulder mobility issues), or if that just exacerbated what I THOUGHT was just shin splints.

I took 1 week hiatus 2 weeks ago at a family get together where there were no gyms available, and played volleyball on grass like I was 21 again (diving, running, jumping and shit). My knees flared up bad after that, but went back to normal within a day.

Whichever caused the knee pain, I want to know if I should hold off on squats, or just push through them and hope the pain goes back to normal in the future.

The pain is not something I have traditionally had, I've always had bad knees, but now the knee is sore to the touch on the outsides and front, and the pain exists whether it is resting or being used, though stepping down stairs sends a jolt like nobodies business.

Any ideas? I've found some posts on here re: squatting and knee pain, but don't seem to match my situation where I went from no knee pain squatting to severe pain in one session. Unless my knees went way forward by switching to high bar, but I don't think they did. Will record myself next time.
    Outside of acute, catastrophic failure of tissue, I think the vast majority of injuries sustained in the gym are caused by improper loading. If you've been squatting for some time with a LBBS technique and then immediately transfer to a HBBS position, especially when you likely have some pre-existing knee condition, like osteoarthritis.

If you switch from low bar to high bar without a corresponding decrease in load, the knees will be irritated. If you want to add high bar in for some strange reason you can:
    1. Use them as a light day variation
    2. Use them during warmups
    3. Use them as back off sets

Any time a new movement is attempted, the body needs some time to adapt to the stress specific to the movement. The load should be ramped up over time until full loading can be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by jbackos View Post
    If you switch from low bar to high bar without a corresponding decrease in load, the knees will be irritated. If you want to add high bar in for some strange reason you can:
    1. Use them as a light day variation
    2. Use them during warmups
    3. Use them as back off sets

Any time a new movement is attempted, the body needs some time to adapt to the stress specific to the movement. The load should be ramped up over time until full loading can be achieved.
    I agree with all but using them during warm-ups. I think a very well-trained individual might be able to do that effectively, but, then again, we are really splitting hairs on that point. Everything else you said is 100% accurate.