starting strength gym

Thread: Ankle Sprain

Default Ankle Sprain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello! I'm 21, M, 5'8" 205lbs. I sprained my left ankle a week and a half ago. I am scheduling an MRI to see where the damage is. I started walking on it without significant pain a week ago. I squatted 3 days ago with a brace to see how it was feeling. I added weight gradually ending up at 185lbsx5, with no pain or discomfort. I woke up the next day in a mild amount of pain that did not go away when I took NSAIDs or Tylenol through the entire day. I woke up the day after and it felt good, no pain or discomfort with additional range of motion and minimal pain.

Is there a protocol for rehabbing an ankle that was sprained? It rolled and hurt along the lateral side of my ankle and additionally I feel like something is loose in my Achilles heel, it feels like it is in front of the heel itself and is only rarely when I squat down.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Oliver View Post
    Hello! I'm 21, M, 5'8" 205lbs. I sprained my left ankle a week and a half ago. I am scheduling an MRI to see where the damage is. I started walking on it without significant pain a week ago. I squatted 3 days ago with a brace to see how it was feeling. I added weight gradually ending up at 185lbsx5, with no pain or discomfort. I woke up the next day in a mild amount of pain that did not go away when I took NSAIDs or Tylenol through the entire day. I woke up the day after and it felt good, no pain or discomfort with additional range of motion and minimal pain.

Is there a protocol for rehabbing an ankle that was sprained? It rolled and hurt along the lateral side of my ankle and additionally I feel like something is loose in my Achilles heel, it feels like it is in front of the heel itself and is only rarely when I squat down.
    I tend to default to squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses for ankle rehab for uncomplicated ankle sprains. I don't see any particular need for an MRI. If you have improved this much, this early on, this is almost certainly not a surgical case, and the MRI will be of very little, if any, use to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I tend to default to squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses for ankle rehab for uncomplicated ankle sprains. I don't see any particular need for an MRI. If you have improved this much, this early on, this is almost certainly not a surgical case, and the MRI will be of very little, if any, use to you.
    I have been adding weight to my squats (20-30lbs) depending on how it feels and on my deadlift with large jumps too (10-30lbs). I make sure that if I feel an increase in the discomfort after a set and it does not go away before my next set then I stop. Does this sound like a good idea, running an fast LP to get back to my previous working weights. From what I was told and have read it should be about 4-6 weeks for everything to return to normal.

Since you have been adding weight and performing the movements, I’d probably allow myself to train through discomfort as long as my movement pattern what what I wanted it to be. If you can control that leg through the discomfort, it’s likely better to continue loading it incrementally.