starting strength gym

Thread: Partial AC separation

Default Partial AC separation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings SS forums!

Been dealing with left shoulder pain for a year. The initial injury happened (I think) when I lazily racked the bar on a bench press, missed the hook and the bar overextended my left shoulder causing immediate pain. Got better after a few days. Later on, after starting a SSNLP, the bar got heavier and the pain came back and grew in intensity with the increase in weight. Stopped benching and pressing for a week, then tried a slow rebuild. Worked ok, but with 100 lbs on each exercise, the pain got concerning. Xrays showed a partial AC separation. I hope to start PT asap, but was curious about how I should proceed with training in the meantime. Im 44 yrs old and started the NLP in October 2020. Thanks in advance!

Andrew

The first thing you’ve got to do is understand that your partially separated AC joint is always going to be partially separated, and PT will never change that. I’d save the money from PT and put it towards a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    The first thing you’ve got to do is understand that your partially separated AC joint is always going to be partially separated, and PT will never change that. I’d save the money from PT and put it towards a coach.
    Thanks. What about furthering the damage with continuing training?

Quote Originally Posted by drewd4d View Post
    Thanks. What about furthering the damage with continuing training?
    What damage are you concerned about furthering with training that is more concerning than the damage that occurs from not training?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    What damage are you concerned about furthering with training that is more concerning than the damage that occurs from not training?
    Making the tear worse. A heavy bench press is still fairly painful. It didn't get better with a weeks rest and trying the "light weight more reps" routine. Not sure what to do.