starting strength gym

Thread: Intercostal muscle strain / fractured rib?

Default Intercostal muscle strain / fractured rib?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys. So last week after my last deadlift warmup I noticed an odd pain on the left side of my ribs directly under my pec / armpit area. Nothing too bad, still got through my work set.

Now it’s gotten worse, can’t deadlift at all. I can squat, bench, press and do chins no problem (small amount of pain in the press, but manageable)

Coughing, sneezing or pulling anything with my left arm is what triggers it the most. As well as laying down / sitting up (like to bench)

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonBanton View Post
    Hey guys. So last week after my last deadlift warmup I noticed an odd pain on the left side of my ribs directly under my pec / armpit area. Nothing too bad, still got through my work set.

Now it’s gotten worse, can’t deadlift at all. I can squat, bench, press and do chins no problem (small amount of pain in the press, but manageable)

Coughing, sneezing or pulling anything with my left arm is what triggers it the most. As well as laying down / sitting up (like to bench)

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
    Do I have experience with this as a clinician or as a lifter?

As a lifter. I found a similar thread on here, Rip mentions improper belt placement and or improper breathing.

I’ve continued with the program without deadlifts / cleans. I was just curious if this has happened to other people and how they corrected it, and roughly how long it took to heal up.

I've never experienced this as a lifter. In the clinic and amongst other lifters, I have recommended using a Velcro belt or a compression wrap on the injured rib area to help get through the training sessions. Also, it seems to be beneficial to refrain from using a belt during the healing process.

Gotcha. I think it’s most likely I didn’t take my warm up form seriously, and it screwed me up. But I appreciate your insight, and reply. Thanks Will, I’ll give the Velcro belt a shot.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonBanton View Post
    Gotcha. I think it’s most likely I didn’t take my warm up form seriously, and it screwed me up. But I appreciate your insight, and reply. Thanks Will, I’ll give the Velcro belt a shot.
    A couple of ACE bandages would work as well. Just wrap in the direction that feels better. The wrap will either slightly compress or distract the rib from the costovertebral joint. One direction will / should fee much better.