starting strength gym

Thread: Unilateral Back Pain

Default Unilateral Back Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 23, 79kg, male and have been doing the program for about a month (my total training time has been broken up due to sporadic lockdowns here in Melbourne). Since learning to deadlift, I have noticed discomfort building up in the lower right side of my back, around the S.I joint area. It was not a big deal at first because the weights were relatively light for me and the discomfort was not severe. It has now gotten to the point where it is actually uncomfortable to walk and it has also affected my sleep. My symptoms include: Stifness in the area, occasional cramping around the QL muscles and mild sharp pain around the Sacrum/Spinal base when dead hanging. Pain also radiates up the back and down the leg on occasion.

I am aware of the fact that my deadlift form is not great and have posted a video for the sake of clarity (I'm also aware that this is the incorrect form of video angle but this is the only footage I have avaliable. I'm also once again in the middle of another lockdown and cannot train. Apologies for that). I think I'm lacking enough thoracic and lumber spine extension in the starting position, and that this is causing the issue. Actually getting into the correct starting position seems to be a little difficult for me, and I'm wondering if stretching the hamstrings whilst keep the low back in extension is an appropriate way to improve the situation. For what it's worth, I also notice some cramping/stiffness in the same low back area occassionally when squatting and even when pressing.

It has been over a week since my last deadlift set and the pain/discomfort has persisted. I have read a similar post about an S.I related injury and the symptoms are comparable. The advice given was to train through the discomfort as the source of the injury could be arthritic in nature. Nonetheless I'm making this post with my video to rule out issues with my form that could be contributing to the issue. I'm looking for advice on what to do.

This is 95kg I think

IMG 61775663 1 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by IronWarlock View Post
    I am aware of the fact that my deadlift form is not great That is putting it mildly. and have posted a video for the sake of clarity Thank you for doing so. (I'm also aware that this is the incorrect form of video angle but this is the only footage I have avaliable. I'm also once again in the middle of another lockdown and cannot train. Apologies for that). I think I'm lacking enough thoracic and lumber spine extension in the starting positionIt appears it is not mobility but, rather, you just don't know what the proper position feels like, and that this is causing the issueIt's not the positioning but everything that happens after that is causing the issue. The movement of your hips in this set of deadlifts is absolutely atrocious.. Actually getting into the correct starting position seems to be a little difficult for meI'm sure it is., and I'm wondering if stretching the hamstrings whilst keep the low back in extension is an appropriate way to improve the situationNot likely to be of benefit.. For what it's worth, I also notice some cramping/stiffness in the same low back area occassionally when squatting and even when pressing.

It has been over a week since my last deadlift set and the pain/discomfort has persisted. I have read a similar post about an S.I related injury and the symptoms are comparable. The advice given was to train through the discomfort as the source of the injury could be arthritic in nature. Nonetheless I'm making this post with my video to rule out I think we can "rule in" issues with the technique as a (at least) confounding variable, if not the actual cause. issues with my form that could be contributing to the issue. I'm looking for advice on what to do. A coach and regular training will help. Coaches are expensive and you live in a country that shuts gyms down on a whim despite the fact that the largest population study, to date, conducted on COVID-19 transmission through gym facilities was conducted on the Australian population. The data presented does not appear to suggest, at all, that gyms are "super spreader locations".

This is 95kg I think

IMG 61775663 1 - YouTube
    As above.

Thanks.

I see my hips move up and my shins move back simutaneously before the weight leaves the ground. I will try to address this issue when my totalitarian government kindly allows me to train again.

In the meantime could you please provide some resources/links to articles or studies regarding the data you mentioned?

That data is readily available via google. I don't think I'd necessarily be thinking SI joint for your issue. With the way you shift and twist in the hips on your initial pull, I'd be more suspicious if you don't have some gluteal tendinitis.

Stretching, as commonly done, likely won't help. But, you may get some mileage out of doing slow tempo Romanian deadlifts to be able to use mechanical load to help get you into position.

Sorry for being stupid, but I don't really know what you mean by shifting or twisting. I've rewatched the video multiple times and on slower speeds but I still can't really identify it. Is it subtle? I only see what I mentioned in my last post.

I also came across the leg length discrepency post by Mark, and found it to be relevant to my issue with respect to the symptoms. I can't really tell if I have it (unsurprisingly), or if it's enough to be problematic.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images