starting strength gym

Thread: Possible tendonitis in calf

Default Possible tendonitis in calf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a male 23 years old, 5'7'' & 186lbs.
    All lifts in kilos for 5s
    Squat 127.5 Bench 95 Deadlift 145 Press 60 PC 65

I have had for a period of around 3 months now a pain in my left calf which is at its worse when squatting. The pain feels similar to tendonitis (making my lower leg feel weak and sharply ache, similar to a dead leg, as though I had just been repeatedly punched hard in the back of the calf) which I have had in my arms before. The pain varies in severity but has on a coupe of occasions meant that I am unable to finish my squat work out, only managing one or two of my three sets. It has on a number of occasions caused form breakdown and a tendency for me to put more weight on my right leg and have a slightly lopsided squat. It also makes me anxious in the descent that my calf will flare up. The pain is worse the heavier the weight and is returning to its worse levels after a reset due to work commitments.
    Do you have any idea what this pain could be? Is it likely to be tendonitis or not? What would you reccommend me do in order to fix this and avoid it re-occuring?

I have attempted foam rolling which has had some benefit but the issue has re-arrisen. I have not partaken in any activity I can think of that may have caused this besides the exercises in the program. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the pain is effecting my ability to squat and progress on the program and makes it hard to focus on form creep in other areas due to my focus on the pain and trying to avoid it.
    The pain does sometimes occur whilst walking however this is only after a heavy squat workout and whilst slightly painful is not my main concern.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Can you provide some direction as to where in the calf you are talking about?

Most of the muscle aches but the main pain is just beneath the gastrocnemius, around half way between the knee and ankle and radiates down.

It is the soleu where I feel the pain and the source seems to be towards the top, where it meets the gastrocnemius.

This sounds very much like an L5/S1 radiculopathy or some other issue with the tibial nerve. This does not seem to be tendon related (no tendon in that area), and muscles don't typically present like this. The feeling of being "dead legged" or weakness makes me think this is something else.

Thank you very much. Nerve issues seem to be the most likely cause due to the nature of the pain.

Do you know what might have caused this so I can try and prevent it happening again? Does L5/S1 issue suggest it has something to do with a back issue?

Also can you recommend any tretment, besides keeping up with the foam rolling. (I went to town with the foam rolling last night and it seems to have been quite helpful).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JMaunder View Post
    Thank you very much. Nerve issues seem to be the most likely cause due to the nature of the pain.

Do you know what might have caused this so I can try and prevent it happening again? Does L5/S1 issue suggest it has something to do with a back issue?

Also can you recommend any tretment, besides keeping up with the foam rolling. (I went to town with the foam rolling last night and it seems to have been quite helpful).
    Disc herniation, intervertebral foraminal stenosis, hamstring syndrome, piriformis syndrome, mass effect anywhere along the course of the sciatic nerve or tibial nerve, among other things are all possibilities. Narrowing down what is the likely culprit is necessary to suggest any particular training recommendations.